Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed re: applying eye ointment to wriggly crying baby!

(17 Posts)
Newyearmum Sat 12-Mar-05 22:07:43

We have been prescribed an ointment for DD's eye infection. It's called Chloramphenicol (or something like that) and it's supposed to be dropped in underneath the lower lid. Problem is dd (8 months) obviously hates it, starts screaming and tries to roll away whenever she sees the tube. Can't even get the stuff in her eye, let alone under the lid.

Any advice from experience eye ointment appliers would be greatly appreciated as infection getting worse.

Gwenick Sat 12-Mar-05 22:13:40

I'm afriad the only way we've found to do it - is (if on your own) straddle baby on the floor, lean forward so that one arm is 'wrapped' round the top of their head so you can 'prize' (sp) the eye open - squirt it into the corner of the eye (near the nose) and let them 'blink' a few times..................that's what we had to do when DS2 had conjunctivitis - he hated it - but although it wasn't applied 'properly' the infection cleared up.

Newyearmum Sat 12-Mar-05 22:20:02

Thanks Gwenick. I think I might have to go back to the doctor and ask for drops - I need something that squirts!!

Newyearmum Sat 12-Mar-05 22:20:02

Thanks Gwenick. I think I might have to go back to the doctor and ask for drops - I need something that squirts!!

KatieMac Sat 12-Mar-05 22:21:25

I do it the other way.....

Sit with your legs apart (on the floor)

put baby between legs with her arm under each of your legs - she is then immobile and you can drop it at the corner

jamiesam Sat 12-Mar-05 22:36:57

Have you ever wrapped a cat in a towel or blanket in order to give worm tablet?! Same technique - swaddle I guess - worked for ds's. I think with the ointment, you only expect to get a little into the eye, so don't feel you've failed if lots on eyelashes/ eyelids. On the other hand, if all on eyelid and infection getting worse, might be worth trying the drops. Beware that after a couple of dozen drops have gone down cheeks, you might return to ointment! Good luck.

meysey Sat 12-Mar-05 22:41:52

get eye drops instead and go straight to hospital if eye is looking really bad. we have just had the same thing, impossible to get ointment in properly and the infection became cellulitis and DS had to be admitted for intravenous antibiotics.

don't want to scare you but act fast if you are very worried

suedonim Sat 12-Mar-05 23:53:51

Uhoh! One of the trickiest jobs that you have to do as a mum. Another thing I've done is smear some ointment onto a cottonwool bud, enough so the fluff won't come off (or dampen it slightly first) and wipe it between the eyelids - you can do it even if the eyes are closed.

Munchkinola Sun 13-Mar-05 08:27:31

We had the eaxact same stuff and problem. Drops were just as bad imo as they ran away down her cheeks to her ears!

Best we could do was wrap her in a towel and aim for the eyelashes. She hated it and rubbed her eyes which meant that at least some went in. They cleared up quickly so enough must have gone in.

Good Luck!

Flip Sun 13-Mar-05 08:34:29

Ds2 had same problem from being just a month old. It lastest for ages and I used to put the drops in when he was asleep. If you've ever used it yourself you'll know why your child cries. It hurts like hell. Something I didn't appreciate until I picked it up off ds2 and had to use his creams.

Get ready to feel repulsed...

I don't get the creams anymore. Ds2 picked it up again two weeks ago. He's now fourteen months. The same day I let the dog clean his eyes and it never returned. My niece had the same which is where ds2 got it from and after two days of her screaming with the cream she let the dog clean her eyes and they were gunk free from then on. Not pleasant but as long as the dogs are wormed regularly and you make sure they haven't just cleaned themselves then I don't see the harm.

Newyearmum Sun 13-Mar-05 10:25:59

Thanks for all these amazing tips, glad to know we're not alone in being cack-handed parents!!

Looking better today but last time we stopped when it looked better and it came back, so we're going to try and persevere for a couple more days.

Meysey - thanks for warning
Good to hear eye rubbing works too, munchkinola as dd is doing that

Sadly we don't have a dog - but funny story!

Munchkinola Sun 13-Mar-05 14:11:49

I was advised to carry on for 2 days after it cleared up.

HTH

HandbagAddiction Mon 14-Mar-05 12:45:37

I can't believe that Doctors still prescribe ointment for babies. Chloro-whatsit comes in drop form too and drops are so much easier to get in. Also, there's little chance of overdose as naturally generated tears tend to dilute it anyway. So if you 'miss' your shot the first time, then it's acceptable to try again. It also shouldn;t sting. I've had to use this stuff myself recently and the only reason it felt odd was because you store it in the fridge and it's cold on the eyeball. 'Stinging' doesn't sound right.

We were given ointment once by an 'emergency doctor' and were already home by the time I realised - went straight back and demanded something else!

Hope it all gets better soon.

Newyearmum Mon 14-Mar-05 19:02:29

HandbagAddiction - very useful info. In retrospect you're so right, I can't believe I got ointment. Thanks for the tip I'll be more assertive next time - like this... !

fisil Mon 14-Mar-05 19:06:04

We found that the box it came in and leaflet that came in the box were distractions (one in each hand) - but then you had to move very very quickly!

eidsvold Tue 15-Mar-05 11:52:25

if you are still breastfeeding - breast milk works wonders... have a dd who gets eye infections and after perservering with creams etc.. someone else told be about the breastmilk. I am breastfeeding dd2 so I express some onto a clean cloth or face washer and just wipe dd1's eyes with the breast milk - clears it up in no time....

prior to that - we had to hold her down or do the swaddle - to get drops or cream in.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Mar-05 12:13:06

Hmm, eidsvold, I should try doing it onto a cloth ... DS2 has an eye infection (I think? yellow gunk, but his eyes aren't red), and trying to squirt milk directly into his eyes is a challenge, to put it politely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now