Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

frequent periods - polycycstic ovaries?

(5 Posts)
jamiesam Fri 11-Mar-05 22:26:11

Sorry if this done ad nauseum before. I've done a quick search and not found what I want yet...

Have two ds's and since ds2, my periods have been about twice as frequent as they ought to be (eg 17 day and 6 day cycles are typical). Been going on for over 10 months now. Just been to visit Dr who recommended ultrasound scan (internal ) to try find polycystic ovaries.

Have found lots about pcos which I clearly don't have (frequent periods, got pg quickly twice), but would love more info on polycystic ovaries. What side effects - fertility, libido...?

Like bloody idiot, didn't mention to Dr today that I'm very keen to start trying to get pg again V soon. Dh keen for us to hold off any attempts til we've sorted out whatever this is (or know what it actually is - think he might be quietly worried about the big c)

Any info greatfully received.

Laylasmum Fri 11-Mar-05 22:37:38

I have PCOS but frequent periods aren't normally a symptom irregualr periods are though. along with weight gain, excess body hair, acne, fertility probs, quadruple chance of developing diabetes. It si possible though to have polycystic ovaries without the syndrome though so none of the symptoms. An ultrasound scan is the only way to rule it out. It is a very common condition.

jamiesam Fri 11-Mar-05 22:44:06

Thanks Laylasmum

I'd sort of got the impression from what I'd read this evening that polycystic ovaries were a very different condition from pcos - did I misunderstand, am I being too simplistic? I wouldn't claim any of the other symptoms, you see - pretty fertile, just reached good/healthy bmi , not particulary hirusute, etc, etc.

Laylasmum Fri 11-Mar-05 22:48:53

not really loads of women will have cystic ovaries and never know ,its not until you get some symptoms and it becomes problematic that you look into it. Basically there is no cure for it if thats what is wrong but keeping a healthy BMI is by far the best thing you can do because for a lot of people if their weight is stable then their other symptoms are more mamgeable and conceiving is easier. I fyou do get a diagnosis or just want to read up can recommend book by Colette Harris " PCOS A woman's guide to dealing with polycystic ovary syndrome".

jamiesam Fri 11-Mar-05 23:03:27

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now