Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Perianal abscess

(18 Posts)
dinny Fri 11-Mar-05 21:35:52

My poor little ds (6 months) has just had one of these (paed thinks caused by nappy rash after illness). Anyone else's child had one? Am still giving him 3 sitz baths a day and it is still discharging a bit (week and a half after it burst). Wondering if it is usual to keep discharging for this long... Anyone? (Gp checked it on Tues and said it was looking good). Thanks, Dinny

lockets Fri 11-Mar-05 21:51:02

Message withdrawn

Laylasmum Fri 11-Mar-05 21:59:35

have seen lots of these in adults so i guess the same applies.it can take a good while to heal as its probably pretty deep and need to heal from the bottom up and they do tend to keep discharging until they are nearly healed in my experience. As long as they wound itself is looking any worse and your DS is ok in himself and the ooze doesn't change for the worse stick with it!!Hth

dinny Sun 13-Mar-05 12:45:11

bump

starlover Sun 13-Mar-05 19:54:22

not sure if this is any help or not, but dp had one 2 christmasses ago and it still leaks a tiny bit now and then!

A week and a half sounds ok, especially if your GP has checked it... but if you're worried take him back!

dinny Sun 13-Mar-05 19:58:41

thanks Starlover - bit more came out tonight after a warm bath. am sure GP said "eventually there will just be a scar tissue" - may give her a call tomorrow. thanks for that.

starlover Sun 13-Mar-05 20:09:35

i think it takes a while because of course it's an open wound and especially in a little one it's wrapped up in his nappy all day.
So it will keep on filling with stuff, although it will also be gradually healing from the inside out.

starlover Sun 13-Mar-05 20:10:21

are you putting salt in his bath? that might help

dinny Sun 13-Mar-05 20:12:35

was worried it had healed over with gunk inside as came to a head again and didn't discharge for a day. just has though, thank goodness. initially I was putting salt in the bath but paed surgeon said just use plain water. ds thinks it is fab having three baths a day!

starlover Sun 13-Mar-05 21:07:55

aww bless him!
I think that was the problem with dp's... it kept healing over on the surface and then building up inside...
I would ask your GP about it

lockets Sun 13-Mar-05 21:10:24

Message withdrawn

dinny Sun 13-Mar-05 21:25:16

seems quite happy, Lockets.

ps MG coming tomorrow too.

lockets Sun 13-Mar-05 21:27:00

Message withdrawn

dinny Sun 13-Mar-05 21:30:11

have booked it - 3pm-5pm. But don't mention where on this!!

dinny Sun 13-Mar-05 21:30:46

dd been banging on about you and dd today.

lockets Sun 13-Mar-05 21:31:34

Message withdrawn

lockets Sun 13-Mar-05 21:32:47

Message withdrawn

dinny Wed 23-Mar-05 21:43:50

poor ds - another abscess has sprung up opposite the first. seeing the paed consultant soon as he made need an op In the meantime he is on antibiotics (since Sunday). the abscess didn't burst but does appear to be shrinking. can antibiotics really make an abscess vanish?? or is all the gunk going somewhere else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now