Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Yellow pussy spot in throat...any ideas please?

(8 Posts)
Chocol8 Fri 11-Mar-05 18:28:43

I have had a pretty much constant throat problems for about 6 months now.

A week ago Monday I was struck down again - really bad pain, etc etc and absolutely no energy. Was off work for 1 day and tried to rest for the weekend but was still feeling really bad. Then about 4 or 5 days ago I woke up and could bearly swallow (felt like a bruise in my throat).

I went to the doctors this morning when I looked in the mirror and saw a yellow puss filled spot on the back of my throat - which was very inflamed on one side and very swollen.

She said that I should try some antibiotics as it may be an infection but never mentioned the spot.
Went back to the car and noticed that the spot had burst (and the pain had eased a bit), so it hadn't been there when she'd looked down my throat after all that waiting!

However the spot has now got another yellow head on it and is very painful again. Dont know if it is connected but it hurts my neck and the top of my shoulder to turn my head to the right.

Any suggestions please?

iota Fri 11-Mar-05 18:36:30

don't want to be scarey, but could it be quinsy? here

Mud Fri 11-Mar-05 20:01:42

call NHS direct to ask about it

Mud Fri 11-Mar-05 20:02:00

don't try to self-diagnose off the internet it will drive you mad

jamiesam Fri 11-Mar-05 22:08:05

I had a very bad sore throat some time ago (painful even to swallow spit) - when I went to the doctors and he saw the yellow spots or pustules on the back of my throat he imm. agreed to antibiotics.

Went to doctors couple of weeks ago with almost as painful sore throat but no yellow spots. No antibiotics.

If you don't get on with NHS Direct, try calling your doctor out of hours - with our practice, you get a doctor to call you back so you can get advice. Good luck.

mamadadawahwah Sat 12-Mar-05 08:09:28

When i get really sick, i get pustules on my throat. Its infection of course. But sounds like if you have had it for some time, you have an underlying virus or bacteria that your body just isnt getting rid of. have you tried homeopathy? You need to get to the "source" of the infection if it has lasted for six months. To ease the pain, try gargling with organic apple cider vinegar. this works a treat. But it MUST be organic. the regular will just hurt your throat. sounds like you might need some immunity building. Whenever i get overtired and sick, thats what happens to me, my throat goes first. Your body is telling you something!! Do you smoke?? I smoke and I know it contributes to the number of viruses and sore throats i get.

mamadadawahwah Sat 12-Mar-05 08:34:41

another thought. In case you havent already, change your toothbrush or soak it in tea trea oil after every use. WE can transfer germs from the toothbrush back to our throats, causing a vicious cycle.

happymerryberries Sat 12-Mar-05 08:56:11

You can get a sore throat from having a virus. If it is red, with no pus, it is most often viral and anitbiotics will do nothing. If the throat is pussy, there is a secondary infection caused by bacteria, which antibiotics can cure.

I have had a quinsy, very, very painful and made me feel very ill. I was 19 at the time and it put me to my bed for a week! I was almost admited to hospital. They can be very nasty things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now