Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like an ovarian cyst?

(4 Posts)
messylittlemonkey Tue 04-Nov-08 09:13:40

Hello

I'm new here and wondered if anyone has any advice.

I have had lower left pelvic/ovarian pain on and off since June this year. It seemed to start in the cycle leading up to a very early miscarriage. About two weeks before the mc, around about the time I would have ovulated, I had a low left pelvic pain for around 2 days. I then had an early mc at approx 5 weeks gestation. The lower left pain then returned about a week later and lasted for several weeks. Sometimes it was more severe, sometimes barely noticeable. I was treated first for an infection, then for a cyst. The cyst medication was a course of anti inflammatory tablets. The pain went after taking these tablets and I was pain free for about 2 months.
The pain then returned about 3 weeks ago, early in my last cycle. This time it is accompanied by lower left back pain which seems to be worse after walking a long way or sometimes when I move in a certain way, but can be there when resting too. My GP has requested an ultrasound scan and said again that it could be a cyst. Does this sound likely?

My periods are regular and normal and I have no bowel/urinary symptoms or other health problems. I'm 34 and have one child who is now 3.

I'm starting to get a bit fretful about it and just wanted to see if anyone else has had this.

Thanks for listening!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 04-Nov-08 11:20:56

Hello mlm - welcome to Mumsnet.

I have no idea to be honest but will be interested in the responses you do get as I've had a low pain for just over a week now accompanied by lower back pain. I can't decide if the back pain is muscular and as my period is due next week I'm just going to wait and see 'til then...

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the scan.

SubRosa Tue 04-Nov-08 12:03:51

Hello MLM and welcome.

It could be a cyst, but without a scan it's difficult to say. Before my ovarian cyst was removed, I had hip pain and other bladder/bowel symptoms. According to the gynaecologist I go to, one of the early symptoms of a cyst on your ovary is a radical change to your normal cycle, either very long or non-existent periods.

I'm not an expert, but I HTH and sorry to hear about your m/cs.

messylittlemonkey Tue 04-Nov-08 14:25:54

Thanks for your responses.

Sag, my back pain does feel muscular especially as it twinges when I move in a certain way, but I think it's linked to the pelvic pain, so not sure what to make of it.

Another suggestion was inflammation of the uterus, but that was a bit vague.

Anyway, we'll see when I have the scan. Hope your pain goes when your preiod arrives, Sag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now