Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

We have a house guest with a streaming cold. Anything I can do to stop the children and I getting it?

(14 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:02:13

Or at least stack the odds in our favour?

She's staying for a week. There are snotty tissues everywhere. She can't stop sneezing and coughing.

Contact is unavoidable, so are there any suppliments we can take to boost our immune systems?

Dd is 2.
Ds is 6 months, but breastfed so would maybe benefit from something I could take?

We've only just got over our last cold. Ds projectile vomits after feeds when he has a cold. I was taking duvets to the launderette on a twice weekly basis. I just can't face it again on top of everything else. <Desperate>

Miyazaki Mon 03-Nov-08 21:05:26

Snotty tissues straight in the bin. Hand washing for all. Get some of that for neurotics dettol spray. Spray handles of doors, taps etc.

Vit C obv chicken soup, you can get echinacea especially for kids, tincture. go to a good health food shop and tell them your tale of woe.

I have my fingers crossed for you. Mine are both vomitters when have colds/coughs. It is awful

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:10:41

Echinacea - I've heard good things about that. Will try and get some tomorrow.

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:11:22

Have rooted out a pile of paper bags for her to put tissues in, then the bags can go into the bin.

Miyazaki Mon 03-Nov-08 21:15:14

yes, in the bin asap! no lolling around like a victorian lady waving a hanky.

you really do have my utmost sympathy.

the months of vomming. the endless washing.

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:18:52

Sympathy much appreciated.

I am generally very gung ho about illness. I am fortunate enough to have healthy children, and I never hide out for fear of lurgy. Coughs, colds, sniffles - fact of life. But right now I really really really don't want us all to be stricken.

Spaceman Mon 03-Nov-08 21:24:55

Aparently that First Response is meant to be quite good, but you may be too late already for it to be effective and I'm not sure if the kids can use it (and it's a bit expensive).

Garlic tablets are very good for colds.

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:27:21

I think I need to get to a health shop.

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:27:39

Wait - health shop or chemist?

BreevandercampLGJ Mon 03-Nov-08 21:30:19

Is she embracing this lurgy, or is she very aware she is polluting your house and family ??

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:33:03

Erm... she is elderly. She is trying to be considerate I think, but she doesn't see well. She's not big on hand washing, and she doesn't notice the strewn tissues.

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:34:30

(And anyway, I can't stop her from cuddling the children while she's here, so am looking at suppliments rather than zero-contact)

BroccoliSpears Mon 03-Nov-08 21:35:28

Kiwis are good for vit C I think.

I have to go to bed now. If anyone adds anything I will pounce on it gratefully in the morning.

catweazle Mon 03-Nov-08 21:49:48

My osteopath swears by a double dose of soluble Vit C tablets every day to boost the immune system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now