Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tummy upset following antibiotics

(17 Posts)
ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 15:19:40

What can I give a one-year-old to put the natural gut bacteria back?

colditzmum Fri 11-Mar-05 15:20:52

Pro-biotic yoghurts?

Marina Fri 11-Mar-05 15:25:49

Yakult, which I think tastes nicer than Actimel? Or a tasty smoothie made of live yogurt and banana?
Solgar do A-B-C-Dophilus, a powdered probiotic compound that is suitable even for tinies, Ionesmum. It's not cheap but it does work. Give for a fortnight after the course of antibiotics. It does keep for a nice long time in the fridge.

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Mar-05 15:29:18

Not Yakult (sorry, Marina). It's not yogurt, but milk. I tried it after antibiotics and it made me dreadfully ill. Start with the Solgar stuff, very effective IME, then move on to live yogurt.

Marina Fri 11-Mar-05 15:31:21

I'll bear that in mind PC...never used it on the children, but take it myself. We are working our way through the Solgar and also eat a fair bit of live yogurt (Rachel's) in our diet.

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 20:30:42

Thanks everyone.

Where do I buy the Solgar stuff? And is yoghurt with sugar as good as natural (dd won't eat it plain!)?

Thanks again!

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Mar-05 20:45:22

The Solgar stuff from good health food shops, some chemists stock it as well - not Boots I think, smaller chains or independants.

I should think sugar would be OK. You could always stir a teaspoonful of jam into a plain bio live yogurt.

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 20:54:19

Thanks, pretty candles!

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Mar-05 20:59:23

Presumably we're talking about the same 1yo as on the routines thread? If so, perhaps no changes until she's over the antibiotics? Could you bear to hold out a little longer?

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 21:02:16

Hi, yes it's the same one! She's over the ear infection so it's just a matter of settling down t hetummy. I won't do anything whilst she is still a bit unwell but I like to have a plan of what I am going to do in advance so I can prepare myself and think about how to plan everything around dd1 as well.

Thanks for all your help, I really do apprectiate it.

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Mar-05 21:10:07

Hey that's ok. Just one waking at night can be a real pain - you think you cope fine, but you're really knackered. It'll be wonderful, you'll feel like a new you when you get regular full night sleeps. I remember it well! The new you bit, that is. The rest is shrouded in the brain-fog of sleep-deprivation .

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 21:24:34

mamadadawahwah Sat 12-Mar-05 08:11:14

Dont be conned by the "pro biotic" products on the market for our health. They are FULL of sugar which is exactly what bad bacteria wants to thrive in your childs gut.

Give your child plain old plain yogurt, preferably organic. No sugar!!!!!!

mamadadawahwah Sat 12-Mar-05 08:12:06

put the plain yogurt in childs milk. It will mix up nicely.

ionesmum Sat 12-Mar-05 21:08:02

Hi, MDW! Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Unfortunately dd2 will only eat flavoured yoghurt, I have tried mixing fruit puree (no sugar) with plain yoghurt but she knows. Better have another go but I'm not confident.

I eat natural yoghurt myself after I found out how much sugar goes in yakult etc. I wouldn't dream of giving that to the dds!

PrettyCandles Sun 13-Mar-05 21:43:30

How about trying a sheep's milk or goat's milk yogurt? They taste very different to cow's milk yogurt and can be easier on the stomach in any case.

ionesmum Mon 14-Mar-05 10:56:51

I hadn't thought of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now