Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Killer sore throat - any tips?

(6 Posts)
jm54 Sun 02-Nov-08 21:20:34

Am 37+ weeks pregnant with nasty cold that I can't shift. The worst thing is a killer sore throat, every swallow like broken glass! Any miracle cures out there?

misi Sun 02-Nov-08 21:25:51

what I would ususally suggest is ''not reccommended during pregnancy'' hmm

manuka honey is absolutely fantastic for sore throats, it comes is 5+, 10+, 15+ 20+ and 25+ strengths. I cannot remember at the moment how far you can go up the strengths when pregnant but have a look at these;

www.activemanukahoneyusa.com/Natural-Upset-Stomach-Treatment.htm

www.questhealthlibrary.com/news/wonder-treatment-manuka-honey

www.activemanukahoneyusa.com/FAQ.htm

rodgershawk Sun 02-Nov-08 21:28:25

Sounds like tonsillitus (prob wrong spelling) only cure was anti-biotics.. Had them while pregnant and doc said they would be fine and no harm to baby. Gave me pure penicillin 250mg. Did the job.. If you do not want to take pills then my mum swears by gargling with salt water.. (mums know best!!)..

jm54 Sun 02-Nov-08 21:36:27

Thanks both! Will investigate honey option first, but will move onto the big guns (penicillin) if no quick improvement!

Elibean Sun 02-Nov-08 22:29:32

Gargle with soluble aspirin, then spit it out.

Helps numb the pain for a while (letting you eat at least!) and you shouldn't absorb much that way.

Horrid, even when not pg, poor you...

misi Sun 02-Nov-08 22:50:52

aspirin will be absorbed through the mouth with great ease, its why they put the anti angine tabs in the mouth under the tongue, as it gets to the blood very quickly.
I would not reccommend aspirin unless absolutely neccessary

read this on aspirin; www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/aspirinexpert/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now