Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

waiting for phone call to take ds in hospital...

(13 Posts)
Bethron Fri 11-Mar-05 09:23:29

Message withdrawn

Frizbe Fri 11-Mar-05 09:24:59

Oh {{{big hugs}}} to you, I don't have any experience of this, but the waiting must be awful, I hope you get the help and guidance you need soon.

Evesmama Fri 11-Mar-05 09:26:24

aw..poor lamb..hope you get help and support now he's been diagnosed

lilyblossom Fri 11-Mar-05 09:27:49

Bethron [[[[[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]]]]]] and for your DS

Bethron Fri 11-Mar-05 09:31:22

Message withdrawn

Bethron Fri 11-Mar-05 09:48:38

Message withdrawn

Cristina7 Fri 11-Mar-05 09:51:54

Bethron, is he babbling otherwise? I wouldn't be concerned about "proper" words, but does he hear well and is he babbling?

Bethron Fri 11-Mar-05 10:05:43

Message withdrawn

Cristina7 Fri 11-Mar-05 16:47:32

If he has a hearing loss, even a mild one, this can delay his speech (although at 11 month I really wouldn't be concerned about speech). Deaf babies babble at the usual time but the babble gradually tails off because they can't hear themselves and don't get any feedback. I know how frustrating it is waiting for hospital appointments. I hope that at least it's in a clinic with good paediatric expertise, adults and children are so different when it comes to hearing testing. Our son is profoundly deaf yet he "passed" the 8 month HV check (on the grounds that he was the most alert baby they'd had all morning), got misdiagnosed as only severely deaf at the local big, teaching hospital, and only mildly deaf at Portland Hospital. We finally had a good diagnosis from the RNTNE. And that's for profound deafness. Very slight hearing losses are even more difficult to diagnose. I hope it's not the case with your son b ut just wanted to point this out to you in case his lack of speech is due to just a mild hearing loss. You could try using a few signs (even just made up ones) if you feel he could benefit from this.

Bethron Sat 19-Mar-05 13:37:42

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Sat 19-Mar-05 13:39:33

Message withdrawn

Bethron Sat 19-Mar-05 13:44:39

Message withdrawn

Chandra Sat 19-Mar-05 13:45:26

Great to hear that heis responding well to the treatment. Regarding the development delay, I'm glad that they have picked it up this early, the sooner the better. Reg speech delay, DS only say mama about at that age, dada came some months later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now