Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can acupuncture help with arthritis?

(7 Posts)
twofalls Sun 02-Nov-08 14:30:45

My mum has it quite badly in her foot. A steroid injection she had a year ago helped but she thinks it is time for another one and is looking at other forms of pain relief. Any experience anyone?

Thanks

misi Sun 02-Nov-08 21:20:33

look up glucosamine, msm, chrondroitin, and devils claw (not neccessarily all in the same product though)

IAteMakkaPakka Sun 02-Nov-08 21:22:55

Acupuncture has been proven to help with knee pain now. I would definitely recommend trying it - some people respond really well.

twofalls Mon 03-Nov-08 07:33:19

Thanks misi, and yes I saw that about knee pain yesterday when I did a bit of research. I think it has got to be worth a try.

Weegle Mon 03-Nov-08 07:42:41

My dad had it for osteo arthritic pain in his hand and had a positive result.

I have a different form of arthritis that affects much more of the body and despite asking GP and consultants several times about a referral for accupuncture they have been quite skeptical saying it's unlikely to have a significant affect when so many joints are implicated, but I am currently awaiting a referral to a pain clinic and I believe accupuncture may be one of the things they try. Their main concern with me up to this point is that accupuncture can help greatly with perception of pain, and they have been concerned this might hide or disguise worsening of the condition, but quite frankly that would be nice!

But if it's just her foot I reckon she loses nothing by trying.

misi Mon 03-Nov-08 12:02:52

twofalls, glucosamine as a purchasable product was developed first for the horse racing industry. many a top horse has been on glucosamine I am told including 2 of the most famous horses wink.
certainly worth a try but if you want proper releif then best to talk to someone qualified either a herbalist or someone in an independant health shop that has had training as they can tell you how to take the product to get results rather than the maintainance dose that you are told on the packaging (therefore the dose on the package is aimed to maintain your present state, not to be theraputic if that makes sense?)

twofalls Tue 04-Nov-08 12:46:31

thank you, will do.

Weegle, I hope you get some relief sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now