Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

gettting brace fitted today really scared...

(10 Posts)
connyflower Fri 11-Mar-05 08:05:34

does it hurt, just havin top fitted today really scared will it hurt anyone have any experience.. please i go in at 11?... today is just the start in 18 months i have to have my jaw broken to align my new straight teeth together, starting to regret this as im really sh**ing myself now!

Ameriscot2005 Fri 11-Mar-05 08:11:12

The actual fitting doesn't hurt...

Depends exactly what you have - if you have a wire across the roof of your mouth, then stock up on some Chloraseptic.

My braces hurt for about a week - talking and eating was difficult, and had to have a liquid (wine) diet. After that, they were fine, but some foods, such as salads, were still a problem.

Braces are very good for weight loss

connyflower Fri 11-Mar-05 08:22:44

Ameriscot2005 think ive spoken to you before about this on another thread? having full top and bottom on and because of overbite my jaw has to be broken, kinda wish id never started this! work in a call center will i be able to talk on the phone propley meanto be in tomorrow too!

connyflower Fri 11-Mar-05 08:23:27

weight loss sounds FANTASTIC

connyflower Fri 11-Mar-05 08:24:40

Ameriscot2005 how old were you when you had it? did you have any surgery or was it just the brace...( just the brace... sorry, as if thats not bad enough)

Ameriscot2005 Fri 11-Mar-05 09:17:56

I was 38 when I had mine fitted - I had it for an overbite, but didn't need the jaw surgery.

It was hard for me to talk in the first few days - painful, lispy and drooly, but that passed after the first week or so.

You might be fine though - it really depends on what they do. I suspect if you had surgery, they will have to put in an activator wire across your mouth, and this may affect your tongue for a bit.

It's all worth it in the end

connyflower Sun 13-Mar-05 21:52:36

well had it fitted and it killing me the fitting are so bloody sharp that all the insides of my cheeks are cut to bits! talking is fine just feel bit paronoid when i smile but no pain no gain so they say!

wild Mon 14-Mar-05 08:39:12

If you feel ends are sharp ask your ortho for some wax. It should feel more comfortable soon

Keane Mon 14-Mar-05 08:48:15

I had one with a roofplates, but i had overcrowding, so had to have 4 teeth taken out aswell

It usually hurts when the tighten it, fo a few days and your teeth feel loose in a way but painful iykwim

It is worth it in the end though

connyflower Wed 16-Mar-05 17:12:45

thanks its feeling much better today get the rest of it fitted friday! using vegtable wax on the sharp bits and it works wonders!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now