Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HAVE YOU GOT A MIRENA COIL .......Please come and answer my question. I REALLY need some help.

(15 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Sat 01-Nov-08 11:00:29

I'm having one in a few weeks and really need to know if it made your PMT worse or better.
I cannot risk it making mine worse.

My other thread and the reason I'm asking....

MissisBoot Sat 01-Nov-08 11:18:32

Its made mine so much better - I still have it a little bit but nothing in comparison.

The only slight problem is that as I have no cycle to speak of I sometimes behave really pmt-ish and wonder what is going on and the a day or two later I have a small period.

But, I would never change to an alternative.

ladytophamhatt Sat 01-Nov-08 12:34:36

Thanks Missis...

scorpio1 Sat 01-Nov-08 12:36:16

alot less PMT.

When i am au naturel, i totally understand what you mean by that 'switch'. DH says he sees it too. I am 'savage' for about a week out of 4.

With the mirena you will get slight pmt for a day or two, maybe a little bleed or the pmt will go.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 01-Nov-08 12:39:10

I've had a Mirena for years now. For the first six months or so I had some breakthrough bleeding at odd times - just small amounts, no pain. Since then, I've had very little bleeding and no regular periods so no PMT. What I have had, though, is every now and again, maybe once in 14/15 months, a day when I wake up feeling absolutely fine but then bite the heads off everyone for the next few hours, just like PMT. But it only lasts a few hours, and has happened maybe 4 times in 7 years. I wouldn't change.

>>wanders off to read other thread<<

smellybunion Sat 01-Nov-08 12:40:47

i had one...it was sort of ok to start....never quite sure where i was bleeding wise...was heavy one day, then stopped, then spotting etc.... once that settled down after about 6 months, my pmt type moods were getting worse, and worse and worse. i became depressed, moody, tearful, awful....so i got it removed after 18 months of having it fitted.

almost within a few days of it being out, i was feeling happier in myself...and now 2 months on, my one week before i'm due on pmt is back, but it is just that, pmt.... i feel like a new woman!

it seems to me that when the mirena works, it works really well, but if it doesn't suit, then its bloody awful.

i feel for you...i really do.....

hope you find a solution.
x

ShePeeTeePee Sat 01-Nov-08 12:55:07

It's quite a risk imo, it tipped my PMT right over the edge (depression, anxiety, violent outbursts, crying etc). How have you got on with other forms of hormonal contraception in the past? That might give you your best clue.

Tiggiwinkle Sun 02-Nov-08 08:47:41

ladytophamhat-I had a Mirena for over 5 years and had very very light periods and no PMT for that time. A friend of mine who suffered badly with PMT has a Mirena and now has no periods at all and her PMT has disappeared.
The only way you will know if it works for you is obviously to try it but it does seem effective in quite a few cases.

DCSsunhill Sun 02-Nov-08 08:49:33

No periods, no PMT, no nothing. I don't even know it's there and I've had it in for three years.

madrush Sun 02-Nov-08 08:56:13

Another praise for the mirena here. Had it for 2.5 years and I was shock at how long it took to settle down (6 months ish of very unpredictable bleeds and hormones). Now it's all fine, not aware of cycle in any way ..... yipee!

MumRum Sun 02-Nov-08 09:03:03

I had mine put in in july, I've had no PMT since.. mine you I've also had no propper period as such, but I have spotting every day, and have to always remember to wear a pant liner... I'm hoping it will settle down soon.. (sorry tmi)

anniebear Sun 02-Nov-08 11:13:32

No difference here I think, maybe a bit better

Not always sure when I would have been on, so suppose I dont know really lol

No bleeding though..., just mild period pains somtimes .......its great

Had it done end of march whilst having a small op

anniebear Sun 02-Nov-08 11:18:42

No difference here I think, maybe a bit better

Not always sure when I would have been on, so suppose I dont know really lol

No bleeding though..., just mild period pains somtimes .......its great

Had it done end of march whilst having a small op

cositjustisok Sun 02-Nov-08 11:19:25

Had my mirena coil fitted in April...for really heavy periods. Whilst I am STILL spotting (hope it will stop soon) I feel so much better mood wise and really believe it has a beneficial affect on my then.... almost constant PMT. I do still suffer at times in the month but am a much happier content mum and much calmer. I hope my bleeding settles down soon cos I do not want to have any reason to get it taken out...think it may have saved my sanity.....and my husbands grin

Ohforfoxsake Sun 02-Nov-08 11:22:11

I've had mine in for a few weeks, and I seem to have completely lost my sex drive.

Not sure that's how its meant to work - but same result in the end I guess grin

I think you just have to try it and see if it suits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now