Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone else get enormous, throbbing horrendous monthly headaches? Or, more importantly, DID you and you don't any more and what did you change?

(24 Posts)
hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 21:26:08

So the mooncup's cured my period pain, but jeeeeeeez, me head hurts from the middle of my back to somewhere just above my hair. Nausea abounds sad

Anyone else? Help!

Habbibu Fri 31-Oct-08 21:28:36

Am sure you've considered this, but do you think they might be related to oscillations (if that's the right word) in blood sugar levels? I had a friend who felt v. ill when premenstrual if she didn't keep her blood sugar very stable.

corblimeymadam Fri 31-Oct-08 21:29:22

Message withdrawn

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:30:46

Hi hunker. Some months I do, some I don't. (I get migraines at other times to, but generally at the same time as my period tbh)

If I ^know" that period is due (don't always due to irregular cycle) I avoid all alcohol/wine, and get loads of sleep. At the first hint of any sort of headache I have a can of coke and some sort of paracetamol plus type painkiller. (the sugar, fizz and caffeine make the tablets work quicker) If at all possible I go to bed.

I also try to eat something like toast at even the tiniest hint of a headache. If I wake in the night with a bad head I always get up and take the painkillers, if I try and sleep I feel awful by the morning.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Fri 31-Oct-08 21:30:50

This has just started happening to me in the last few months. It's horrific isn't it? Especially when you've got work and childen and things. Do you get migraines? I do and I think they are affected a lot by my hormones. I got them loads in pregnancy and now they're coming before my periods. My mum suffered the same but hers have stopped with the menopause envy Have you tried migraleve?

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:33:30

I think Habbibu is right re the blood sugar levels. Also dehydration is also a factor I believe. Even if it's not then no harm in drinking more fluids in the days before you are due.

That menstrual headache is horrid. I had them from age 10 a year or so before I even had periods. I remember vomiting in my last year of primary - really overwhelming pain.

hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 21:38:47

Am probably dehydrated thinking about it right now. And have got blood sugar ishoos (had gestational diabetes when pg with DS2), but it doesn't seem to make much difference how stable I keep it and how hydrated I am - I always get them.

Am taking painkillers with some Coke now.

I'm not sure if I get migraines - I do get headaches that make me ach to my hips and feel very sick and shaky, but I thought a migraine was a visual disturbance thing too?

hazeyjane Fri 31-Oct-08 21:39:33

I have horrible headaches for a week after my period (so with a week of pmt, a week of period pain, and a week of headaches, I'm basically ok to be around for 1 week a month!)

The only painkiller that works for me is co-hydramol. But agree that eating small regular snacks and drinking tons of water does help a bit.

Katisha Fri 31-Oct-08 21:42:11

I get 'em. They are 3 day events. I am currently on Day 1.

In the past I thought that taking VitB complex on a regular basis helped. But I think that would have to be a permanent thing, in order to make any difference. I have got out of that habit for some pointless reason.

Syndol, although it makes me feel a bit woozy sometimes.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:47:36

With some migraines (classic I think they are called) you get visual disturbance. Other migraines (ime anyway) don't involve any visual disturbance. I have them on one side of the head, like a really sore pain, and nausea/sickness. What you have sounds a bit like migraine tbh, but I am not a doctor.

Rumpel Fri 31-Oct-08 21:47:47

Try butterbur or feverfew - great for migraine/headache relief. Try agnus castus tincture for regulating hormones and really really helps PMT symptoms.

hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 21:59:04

I think I'll go to the doctor about it. I've been taking vitamins too - some complete thingummy for women from Tesco. Has all the evening primrose, zinc, B vits, etc in it.

Sorry for all you others who get them too sad

foxinsocks Fri 31-Oct-08 22:01:22

hi you hunky thing

only way I've managed to stop them was by taking the pill constantly with no break so as not to get a period and I had to try several pills till I got one that worked without giving me other side effects

took me almost 2 years to sort out...by the time I had sorted it out, I was desperate. In some months, I'd get those headaches for almost 10 days (as long as I had my periods) grrr so many many sympathies to you!

mine are completely hormonal...it's something to do with the drop in hormones when you get your period though I have now figured out that, at other times, I get the blood sugar effect too (so if I eat sweets, I feel great initially and then once the sugar wears off, I can feel my head starting to throb).

FWIW, I had to see a gynaecologist to get this sorted out hunker. Might be worth asking for a referral if you get nowhere with your GP. Hope you feel better soon you poor thing!

hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 22:03:50

Thanks, Foxy - very glad you found something that worked for you. I did take the pill on three-month cycles (so only four periods a year) when they were trying medical as opposed to surgical treatment for endometriosis. Then I started to get cramps in my calves and the doctor said I'd better stop taking it because he was worried about DVT (as was I!). I'm also still bfing DS2 and I don't think I can take the combined pill whilst I'm doing that, even though he's a giant toddler now.

wobbegong Fri 31-Oct-08 22:03:54

It was coke that always gave them to me, tbh. Blood sugar all over the place.

Sounds like you've already thought about that one though.

I do rate that 4head stuff- slap it on as soon as the headache seems to be starting.

www.4headaches.co.uk/

asdmumandteacher Fri 31-Oct-08 22:04:32

I get them the day before just above my right eye

foxinsocks Fri 31-Oct-08 22:08:04

you must go to the doctor hunker

gynae mentioned there was something else they can give you...think it's some sort of very mild hormonal nasal spray that they can try that you take on specific days (can't remember the details....think it might be a couple of days leading up to your period? something like that) in an attempt to regulate and stabilise the hormones and replace the ones that drop and cause the migraines. Sorry I can't remember more! But don't despair, because there are lots of things they can try though I think they are notoriously hard to treat these types of migraine/headache.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 22:10:24

Re the combined pill (although I realise you can't take it at the moment) I always found I got a mega/double dose of bad head if I ran one or more packets into the other.

foxinsocks Fri 31-Oct-08 22:13:03

yes some pills made it worse with me. It was trial and error. Had to keep going till I found one that worked! But I think this sort of problem, one solution doesn't fit all unfortunately which is why they aren't that easy to fix.

ShePeeTeePee Fri 31-Oct-08 22:18:45

Yep - horrible isn't it. Also get them mid-cycle.

There is a very good information sheet here:

Menstrual Migraine. Can only link to the homepage, but if you look down the list on the left to fact sheets, and then Menstrual Migraine, you may find this describes your symptoms. I'd recommend having a good ferret around this site and then going to your GP. I take Sumatriptan, which for me is very effective. I couldn't take it while breast feeding though (did pump and dump and used formula for those days).

emiliadaniel Fri 31-Oct-08 22:19:12

I got severe migraines on day 3 of my period for several months. I think there was a link with eating chocolate and using the computer. I found that wearing my glasses all the time for a couple of days helped. I was also prescribed propanolol by my GP which definitely made a big difference. I have been off the medication for a few months and so far no more migraines.

hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 22:46:59

This is very useful - thank you, SPTP

I am not getting enough sleep, so will go to bed now and try to sleep more. It's getting worse now - it's like shivery chills across my shoulders - I know the computer doesn't help, but I'm touch-typing with my eyes shut grin

ShePeeTeePee Fri 31-Oct-08 22:52:47

Ah, you're much better at links than me! Go lie in a darkened room, and I hope you feel better by the morning. I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you do go to your GP. Night-night.

girlandboy Fri 31-Oct-08 22:59:36

I have to take Pizotifen every day to ward off migraines. It works well, though I do still get some pain.

The migraines come twice a month (period week and ovulation) and last for 7 days each. The Pizotifen reduce the severity and I take ProPain Plus for the pain. This is available over the counter, and at the moment seems to be the only thing that works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now