Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ow ow ow ow ow - anything I can take for an ear infection except paracetamol?

(8 Posts)
CantSleepWontSleep Fri 31-Oct-08 16:58:40

Can't get doctor's appointment until Monday - fat lot of use that is.

Am breastfeeding (3 week old plus 2.8 yr old) so any suggestions need to be bf friendly.

It bloody hurts!

TattyCatty Fri 31-Oct-08 17:42:31

Hello - is Ibuprofen allowed? I'm thinking it is as they give out Diclofenic when you're on the post natal ward, which is just a stronger version. I had a massive ear infection when I was away with work once and ended up in A&E, and that's what they gave me. Can you get yourself to out of hours at the Lister? They will usually get you seen really quickly, but you do need to ring through first.

elsiepiddock Fri 31-Oct-08 19:09:35

You can get something from pharmacy now without prescription, but it's only for otitis externa iirc.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 31-Oct-08 20:22:58

Just had a read about oe and it doesn't really sound like that elsie.

Thanks tc. Am never sure whether ibuprofen is allowed or not, but I tend to avoid it in case. Also try and avoid out of hours clinic, esp when it means dragging ds out!

Thankfully paracetamol have helped, so will see how it is in the morning and then decide what to do.

TattyCatty Fri 31-Oct-08 20:40:26

Diclofenic was definitely fine for that very short window whilst I was breast feeding! Have also discovered since that Tramadol (basically morphine!) would also have been ok. Let me know how you are in the morning - we can have DD if it helps you.

TarkaLiotta Fri 31-Oct-08 20:46:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ewe Fri 31-Oct-08 20:51:22

A material bag of salt (or salt in a napkin and tied up in my case)in the microwave, minute or two, on the ear.

It is good (for me anyway) at relieving pain. Earache is hell

Bride1 Fri 31-Oct-08 20:53:05

Agree with Ewe. Or use a drop or two of Lavender and teatree oils down the ear. It might sting for a second but it helps nuke the bacteria.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: