Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Melanoma - anyone got experience of this please

(10 Posts)
elsiepiddock Fri 31-Oct-08 13:25:15

My mil had a mole removed from her wrist a few weeks ago. It was a black one which was irregular and had spread - text book stuff really.

She has just been told that it was a melanoma. They were able to remove it entirely but she has got to go back for more tests (not on the mole site). I presume these will be blood tests and x-rays?

The doc said she will be 'kept an eye on' for 5 years.

Is this the norm for a melanoma? The treatment seems a bit nothingy and vague?

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Fri 31-Oct-08 13:27:18

If they have removed it completely, then some tests (most likely to be a CT scan ) and followup is all that is needed.

elsiepiddock Fri 31-Oct-08 13:29:27

Thanks smile

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 13:32:12

My friend has had a similar experience. Melanoma doesn't respond at all to chemo, so the only thing they will do is cut it out and check to make sure it hasn't spread. If it hasn't, they just keep doing regular checks.

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 13:32:13

My friend has had a similar experience. Melanoma doesn't respond at all to chemo, so the only thing they will do is cut it out and check to make sure it hasn't spread. If it hasn't, they just keep doing regular checks.

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 13:32:24

oops

elsiepiddock Fri 31-Oct-08 13:34:47

Thanks.

Don't know whether to be worried or relieved!

I presume that as they got it all out from beneath and around dodgy mole, her chances of it not having spread are good?

snowleopard Fri 31-Oct-08 13:35:56

Yes, if it's caught early it has a good chance of being all out.

elsiepiddock Fri 31-Oct-08 13:42:47

Skin cancer is very scarey.

She is so not a sun worshipper. But she's always either gardening or playing golf - so exposed all the time.

ThingOne Fri 31-Oct-08 21:20:48

Cancerbackup is a very good site www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Melanoma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now