Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chilblain has ulcerated - what do I do with it

(7 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 30-Oct-08 20:27:04

Am very prone to chilblains which have been really painful recently and am seeing a rheumatologist on tuesday to talk in part about my reynauds/poor circulation. This is the first chilblain I've had thats actually ulcerated though - its right on the tip of my toe by the nail and is a bit weepy.

So what do I do with it? do I try and stick a plaster on it (how?), does it need to be seen?

silly stupid toes.

cheshirekitty Thu 30-Oct-08 20:31:52

It needs to be seen, kitten. If you have poor circulation the last thing you want is to have an untreated ulcer get worse.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 30-Oct-08 20:47:04

bum thanks cheshirekitty. Am supposed to be dropping dd off at Brownie camp and then going shopping with dh for her birthday and Christmas present. Rotten timing, perhaps I'll be able to get an early appt.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 03-Nov-08 21:47:30

ok I know I should have gone on friday - but it looked like nothing much at all and I thought they would think I was making a fuss about nothing. Now its a bit bigger and is weeping loads of clear fluid. My little toe has also ulcerated now. Thats not so good is it?

Rheumy tommorrow. Will he do anything, do I need to see my gp as well? that would be hard to time. They are painful to walk on, is walking on them ok? And should I keep them covered or let them dry out. I'm on a school trip on wednesday, lots of walking, have been asked to go to do one on one with a boy I do a lot of work with.

oh I'm such an idiot.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 03-Nov-08 21:54:16

Show Rheumy tomorrow - he will either prescribe treatment for you or refer you back to GP.

I have googled ulceration then closed my eyes and the page and come back here. (sings la la la covering eyes at the same time)

You really, really need to get this sorted asap, even if it means missing out on school trip, BadKitten.

Good luck

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 03-Nov-08 21:58:33

thanks for googling it BALD - that was very brave of you. Am a bit freaked after having done the same.

Have to say I am never ever taking dhs advice again about whether he thinks I should go to the doctor or not. (blames it all on poor dh)

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 04-Nov-08 13:08:43

rheumy has prescribed nifedipine and told me to keep my ulcers warm and dry and covered. He thinks they will be ok (just need to watch for infection)

I've had a load of bloods done with lupus as a query. Am sure its not that, I think its an exacerbation of my psoriatic arthritis.

We talked about changing my pa meds but the step up to the next meds is too high at moment. He would prescribe steroids he said but the fact I developed cataracts from using them suggests to him I'm very sensitive to them. Thats a huge poo cos they would make me feel loads less sore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now