Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone please talk to me about Natural Family Planning as contraception?

(21 Posts)
LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 15:33:18

Before you say it, I know it's not 100%. I am quite prepared to have another baby if it happened but would prefer to wait abit longer, but when push comes to shove (no pun intended wink) it is far from the end of the world if I became pregnant.

So... having said all that, has anyone used this method as a contraception? How effective was it? Is it very hard to manage? And no.1 Q is what does it entail? All I know is it's something to do with checking your temperature etc, but I am sure there is a whole load more to it than that.

Thankyou

LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 21:08:28

whooooop

LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 21:09:06

eh? Random whoooop. Was supposed to be a bump!

squeakypop Thu 30-Oct-08 21:10:43

You have to do it properly if you are going to make it work, and obviously not too bothered if it doesn't.

There are some good books around, especially aimed at Catholic women.

LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 21:12:08

Ah, thanks, shall check out Amazon. Do Amazon tend to do them? I really need a dummies guide!

Don't know about natural family planning, but you made me ROFL with your Random whooop

Habbibu Thu 30-Oct-08 21:13:30

Google Billings ovulation method - it makes for pretty interesting reading, and I did find some research on Pubmed to back it up. I was doing the opposite to you, mind, so wasn't focussing on the contraceptive issues!

squeakypop Thu 30-Oct-08 21:14:06

yep - Amazon should have loads.

There is a very well known book called, Taking Charge of your Fertility.

squeakypop Thu 30-Oct-08 21:15:01

Billings method - cervical mucus monitoring. You can do this without taking your basal body temperature.

sandyballs Thu 30-Oct-08 21:16:09

Well its worked for us for the last 7 years but I'm quite old now fertility wise (40) and found it very hard to conceive in the first place so probably not the best of people to listen to grin

sandyballs Thu 30-Oct-08 21:17:51

Sorry, meant to add. Buy a Persona kit. Friends use that and it's good. They're strongly against having any kids and they've used it for 10 years succesfully.

Lionstar Thu 30-Oct-08 21:18:21

We used it quite successfully for the last 10 years, but our method involves a fair bit of 'abstinence' from penetrative sex. Originally I did do some temping to work out my cycle, but don't bother any more. Basically we have careful sex for a week in the middle of the cycle, and extra careful when I am obviously ovulating (mucous).

It definately worked, because when TTC with DD we got there in the first month! This pregnancy took a bit longer, probably because I'm still breastfeeding.

I would totally recommend reading up on it and doing all temping etc. to establish how regular your cycle is. You also do have to be prepared for an unexpected pregnancy because it isn't 100% (though in my experience it has been).

LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 21:18:31

Is there any that do not involve err... putting your fingers inside? I think I read that was a method, checking something up there but I do not think I can do that (pain wise) I shall google that method, thanks

LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 21:21:15

Oh yes, I wanted to ask about Persona... do you use it every day? I take it it's like doing a pregnancy test but for ovulation?

LadyOfRoffle Thu 30-Oct-08 21:21:16

Oh yes, I wanted to ask about Persona... do you use it every day? I take it it's like doing a pregnancy test but for ovulation?

mawbroon Thu 30-Oct-08 21:29:01

I would second the recommendation of "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler.

It is easy to read and is also well laid out for easy reference.

I wish I had known all that stuff years ago.

peachyghoul Fri 31-Oct-08 20:39:46

Hi LadyOfRoffle

There was a similar thread to this a short while ago. here

I use NFP.
I temp.
I track cervical fluid (you do not need to put your fingers up just look at it)
You can also feel wether your cervix is open or closed but I don't

And I use a Persona machine these are 94% effective which is the same as a diaphragm. You pee on a stick and it analyses the hormones.

This website is great it gives you lots of info fertilityuk got indicators. You can print off charts from here too.

I would agree with the abstinence bit. We don't tend to have sex at all at the beginning of my cycle (running up to ovulation) From the calculation on the chart you subtract 20 days from your shortest cycle to find you most fertile day and for me that is day three so therefore not much action in our house.

Because I think I would like a bit more sex blushI am consdering a diaphragm to use at this time

The Toni Weschler book is excellent, a very easy read.

Billings website here

Persona here

ReallyspookyBCNSgrrrrr Fri 31-Oct-08 20:46:19

I used persona between my ds's .. worked brilliantly ( four a 3.5 year gap)
I didn't know they still did it.. but when I did then want to conceve.. bingo on the first "red" day

emma1977 Fri 31-Oct-08 22:32:35

Persona combined with temp and cervical mucous tracking and abstinence/condoms can be almost as effective as hormonal methods when done well.

There's lots of good advice so far on here, but I would add that a FPC should also be able to help teach you about fertility awarenss and NFP.

peachygirl Sat 01-Nov-08 17:52:43

If you go to the fertility uk website it lists clinics and nurses in your area who are qualified to train you. However not everweere has them

LadyOfRoffle Sat 01-Nov-08 17:55:30

Thanks so much It sounds easier in a way than what I thought it would be. I will research those links with DH and get myself kitted out with books/thermometers etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now