Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

found a lump...on baby

(18 Posts)
lucykatie Wed 09-Mar-05 22:50:38

I have found a lump today on dd 6 months ear.

its on the soft bit at the side and its like a small pea inside her ear...but what worries me the most is the fact that its purple in colour.

she is a bit restless but may be teething, seems happy in general though.
what should i do?

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 22:53:28

Take her to the doctor. It's probbaly nothing but it's always best to play safe with babies. Make an appointment tomorrow morning.

lucykatie Wed 09-Mar-05 22:57:02

yeah youre right, its just that some doctors make you feel like a right prat at times.....well its tough luck i am gonna take her and thats that.

all sorts of things going around in my head...was going to type them but cannot bring myself to type the words but you understand me i am sure.

marthamoo Wed 09-Mar-05 23:01:49

It's natural to start imagining all the worst possibilities - which is why you need to take her to your GP to put your mind at rest. They won't think you're a prat - my GPs have always said they would rather see a baby than have the mother worrying.

lucykatie Wed 09-Mar-05 23:17:50

i once took my dd1 to the docs regarding a tummy bug, sickness and the poo's etc, the doc told me i was being silly...his words, and told me to run along and this is what being a mother was all about.

i will take her, dont know why i posted this thread as i knew what people was going to say and knew myself what to do really, just wanted to ease the stress of it all....thanks for posting back to me.

lucykatie Thu 10-Mar-05 20:33:13

bump

Evesmama Thu 10-Mar-05 20:35:14

may be wrong, but friends ds kept getting lumps on his face head and ears when teething(mainly back teeth), doctor confirmed this on several occasions!, would check to put your mind at rest put it sounds like the same thing

biglips Thu 10-Mar-05 20:35:38

have you taken your DD to docs yet?

Evesmama Thu 10-Mar-05 20:39:11

about the spots?

lucykatie Thu 10-Mar-05 21:40:50

at docs tomorrow but so worried as she has been a little off today.

the lump is hard to touch as though its got a small pea inside the ear lobe ] think thats what you call it, the soft bit where you would have ear peirced but on the edge] and its dark purple in colour......resembles a blood blister colour...its not a blister though....too hard.

Tipex Thu 10-Mar-05 21:45:54

could be a little thrombosed vein? try not to worry, she may be a bit off for a million other reasons but its so natural to worry its due to this problem. Does she seem to find it painful when you touch the lump? Its most likely totally harmless, hopefully the doc can reassure you or give you some answers. NEVER feel you are wasting their time, its their job and babies most definately need checking if Mum has any concerns. Good luck and let us know how you get on x

lucykatie Thu 10-Mar-05 22:20:27

doesnt seem to hurt her to touch it but every time i go to touch it she naturaly turns her head so difficult to really examine it.

will let you know outcome....thanks for your support.

ChicPea Thu 10-Mar-05 22:21:26

Could it be a little birth mark? When DD was born she had no marks on her fingers but one did develop on the side of her third finger next to the nail and affected most of the tip. It went dark purple and was swollen and I was told that it would fade gradually. Well it did and until I read this thread I had almost forgotten about it.

tortoiseshell Thu 10-Mar-05 22:21:40

Ds had a lump on his chest when he was 2 - wasn't anything sinister, but doctor said was good call to take him.

lucykatie Thu 10-Mar-05 22:28:29

its only arrived in the past couple of days...do birthmarks arrive this late?

she has a birthmark on the back of her neck though, could she have another?

if it is a birthmark could it get bigger?

princesspeahead Thu 10-Mar-05 22:30:52

could be a little hemangioma which is a long word for nothing to worry about. my ds2 had one which appeared on his head at about 2 months old and grew to about big pea sized, and then slowly shrunk over the next year or less. don't know exactly when it went because he grew hair over it and I stopped checking - then one day I remembered and it had gone!
something to do with a little swelling at the end of a capillery or something. but best to check with gp

ChicPea Thu 10-Mar-05 22:52:18

Unfortunately, don't know the answers to your questsions Lucykatie. Hope you see your GP soon. If no help there what about your health visitor?

lucykatie Fri 11-Mar-05 08:52:25

nice idea about health visitor but in my opinion she is a waste of space....once told me to force feed dd2 with a bottle....great health visitor.

going docs today...will let you guys know later.

oh and thanks again for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now