Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is there any way of finding out if baby is OK without having to wait until 12 weeks for heartbeat?

(8 Posts)
Carinx Sun 26-Oct-08 15:10:54

Is there any way of finding out if baby is OK without having to wait until 12 weeks for heartbeat? 40 yrs so already high-risk, 4 weeks now. I took 2 immodiums to clear up travellers diarrhoea, 3 days later a sleeping tablet to get through a longhaul flight, 3 days after returning had my wisdom tooth taken out, local anaesthetic, with tooth still throbbing and 4 pregnancy test-kits later & too much web-surfing has freaked me out. its feeling like a long weekend til I can see a doc in the week.

ShowOfHands Sun 26-Oct-08 15:14:26

Private scan?

How far along are you because early scans often don't tell you much?

JollyPirate Sun 26-Oct-08 15:16:27

You could ask for an early scan. At 4 weeks it's too early to hear a heartbeat and even a scan won't pick up a heartbeat but by 6-7 weeks WILL be able to.

Unfortunately it's a waiting game but hopefully all will be well. I used to be a community midwife and cannot tell you how many women came in for booking and anxiously confessed to ingesting/snorting/drinking X, Y and sometimes even Z before realizing they were pregnant. In the vast, vast majority of cases it made no difference. Pregnancies went well and babies were born healthy.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sun 26-Oct-08 15:16:28

They can pick up a heart beat at 7 weeks with an internal ultrasound, it just shows the sac and a heartbeat at that point.

JollyPirate Sun 26-Oct-08 15:16:51

Meant to add congratulations too. Is it your first?

SharkyandGeorge Sun 26-Oct-08 15:17:22

You can pay for a private scan, in my area they are about £70 (ish) for a 5 minute scan to check for a heartbeat. I would wait til at about 7-8 weeks for this so you can be sure to actually see the heart beat.

Carinx Sun 26-Oct-08 15:24:21

Crikey, I've never joined a forum before, and am overwhelmed by quick and helpful response, thanks all. Thanks JollyP - is my first... am somewhat reassured, and now focusing energy positively, a private scan in a couple of weeks time looks like a good plan for me to calm my concerns.

JollyPirate Sun 26-Oct-08 18:13:32

Welcome to MN Carinx - stick around as there are some really good antenatal threads going.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: