Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I have mastits?? or what do I have? can I have some help please?

(18 Posts)
TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:17:47

yesterday lunchtime my left breast felt very sore, I though n=maybe it was because of the cxrap bra I was wearing

I tok it off in the afternoon but the pain stayed
by 7pm I started feeling unwell
I have been up all night shivering and feeling saick and my breast is now lumpy and sore

I amcontinuing to feed from it but totally worried now

I was talking extra strenth paracetemol every 4 hours overnight which helped with the temp for a little while

I feel knackered sore and achey today

What's wrong with me?

IdrisTheDragon Sun 26-Oct-08 09:19:25

Sounds like mastitis to me. Do you have a red patch on the sore breast?

I'd go to an emergency doctor if you can, to get antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon.

TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:21:38

it is a little red above the nipple in a line ish

Ghouladalupe Sun 26-Oct-08 09:23:19

Sounds like it. I had mastitis seven times with ds2, shivers and flu-like symptoms with lumpy sore breast with either red patches or lines. Can you see any visible redness?

Mostly I got rid of it in a few days with expressing in hot baths, cabbage leaves for soreness and complete rest, well, as much as you can with kids anyway. I needed antibiotics the last time though as I couldn't shift it.

If you don't feel better tomorrow I'd speak to the doctor, you might need ABs. Sympathy, it is horrible.

TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:23:40

on the phone to nhs24

Ghouladalupe Sun 26-Oct-08 09:25:48

That line definitely sounds like it. You could see someone today if you feel too awful. A couple of times I felt better within a day after expressing etc but it often needs abs to go, well it will go quicker with them anyway.

TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:28:25

I have never had mastitis before
I can't understand what I've done this time to get it

Is it more prone when you're feeding a toddler that maybe isn't so reular with their feeds

TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:34:21

waiting on an appointment at the hospital to get some anti biotics

Ghouladalupe Sun 26-Oct-08 09:35:46

I don't know. I never had it with my other two but I got it repeatedly when ds2 was nearly one. I thought it was something you got early on when feeding is getting established.

I was definitely knackered though, not getting enough rest, low immune system. I guess it could be that you're reducing feeds and it's not draining properly.

PortAndDemon Sun 26-Oct-08 09:36:48

Probably you got a blocked duct and didn't clear it quickly enough. It can be a positioning issue, or down to underwear/clothing, or the all-purpose reason "just one of those things". Hope the ABs sort it out quickly.

Ghouladalupe Sun 26-Oct-08 09:37:54

You should start to feel better very quickly once you start taking them. Try and rest as well though.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 09:38:25

Poor you. Definitely sounds like mastitis. Haven't heard of being more prone when feeding a toddler but there's a chance it could be. Hope you feel better soon.

Elk Sun 26-Oct-08 09:39:08

In the meantime try hot and cold compressess on the affected breast. Hot before feeding/expressing and cold afterwards, I found it felt really comforting. Also I found that lying in a warm bath with a face flannel on the affected breast felt good.

Also if there is a lump try massaging it gently towards the nipple.

HTH

(all advice a BFC gave me).

minxpinx Sun 26-Oct-08 09:40:48

Poor you! mastitis is horrible. Do everything that others have suggested. The cabbage leaf thing really does work (pick off a couple of the larger outer leaves and bash with a rolling pin a bit and then tuck inside your bra - switch them with ones in the fringe. There is something in them that slows the milk production.)
Hope you feel better soon

I found I got it when my lo was irregular with her feeds, also when I was feeling a bit run down and once when she kicked me in the boob!

TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:45:45

thanks guys
I've got an app for 11am
need to drive 17 miles to get there but UGH I feel so bad, I really need some help with this

BroccoliSpears Sun 26-Oct-08 09:50:15

Sympathies.

I had this last week. Was throwing up and passing out. Very very painful and knackering.

Your baby is the best thing to clear the blockage. Try to position her lower lip near the blockage so the tongue is working on clearing the duct. Can you lie your baby on the bed and then, kneeling on all fours, dangle over to feed. Undignified and hellish if you're weak and achey, but it's effective.

TrinityRhino Sun 26-Oct-08 09:51:57

oh broccoli that sounds awful
how long did it last

I will try the undignified feeding, I can totally see how it wouold help. wish me luck

BroccoliSpears Sun 26-Oct-08 09:56:42

Fornutately was only out for the count for 12 hours. A bit weak and wobbly for the next few days. It seems to hit me hard, but I get over it mercifully quickly.

Good luck with the dangling. (Another special parenting moment!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now