Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possibly a dim question, but if DH can't take Ibuprofen tablets or Aspirin becasue of an ulcer, then he's not going to able to use Ibuprofen gel is he?

(13 Posts)
saltire Sat 25-Oct-08 22:46:21

He got a groinhmm strian on Wednesday at teh gym and today can hardly walk, he is in agony, its going through form teh groin tot eh top of his hip. He has sat on teh sofa ll day alternating heat and ice and taking paracetamol and codein tabs which are doing no good. I have Ibuprofen gel but not sure if could use it becasue of his ulcer

JadetheKnife Sat 25-Oct-08 22:47:43

surely the tablets are only bad because they irritate the lining of the stomach and so the ulcer.

The gel will just get absorbed straight into the bloodstream.

This is only a guess though.

DeJaVousdoo Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:23

I'd guess the same as Jade.

AnarchyAunt Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:30

I think he can actually as it is not absorbed through the stomach lining in gel form, and this is what iritates the stomach.

Google?

lilymolly Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:41

ibuproven affects the stomach lining and will make ulcers worse- external ibuprofen may avoid this as it is not systemic?

Codeine is a very strong painkiller and if that is not touching the pain, then i doubt topical ibuprofen would do anything

ring nhs direct tomorrow

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:46

It would be different (I think) being a gel as it would not go down his GI tract into the stomach so shouldn't aggrivate it. I may be wrong though. Someone will be along in a minute.

wrinklytum Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:48

I would get him back to docs if he is in this much pain.Probably not ideal to take anti inflammatories of any sort,really.What strength codiene is he on?

scaryfucker Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:52

yes, he can use the gel

it is only absorbed into the skin, not through the gut as when taken orally

hope he is better soon and back to full duties wink

Ewe Sat 25-Oct-08 22:51:44

He could take codeine or paracetemol? But yes, the gel is absolutely fine!

GoingToHell Sat 25-Oct-08 22:53:41

I wouldn't.

I'm not sure how much of the anti coagulant properties would be absorbed using the gel.

Call NHS Direct 0845 46 47 first to confirm it's ok.

hang on, will check a book.....

saltire Sat 25-Oct-08 22:56:43

According to google , the warning leaflet for Ibuleve gel says not to take if you have an ulcer or asthma. It's not Ibuleve I have though, just Boots Max Strength ibuprofen gel

Ewe Sat 25-Oct-08 22:59:37

My gastro consultant told me it was fine but your DH may have complicating factors that I don't have.

GoingToHell Sat 25-Oct-08 23:03:02

Ibuleve is a brand name - Boots stuff v likely to have same ingredients.

A topically applied medication can still have systemic effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now