Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Osteopathy - can really recommend for bad back

(16 Posts)
BananaSkin Sat 25-Oct-08 13:52:51

In case there are any other sceptics out there suffering with bad backs from pregnancy/pushing babies out/just lugging them around, I really recommend osteopahty. I had a session this morning and am able to move without pain for the first time in ages.

needmorecoffee Sat 25-Oct-08 13:55:32

yeah, mine is great. He clunks bits back and the pain goes away. The NHS did sod all.

BananaSkin Sat 25-Oct-08 13:57:39

Mine doesn't clunk. He just holds your feet and puts his hand under your bottom (blush I always think I will break it). I could feel something happening inside - very strange.

needmorecoffee Sat 25-Oct-08 14:01:41

I have locked vertebrae in my upper spine that causes hideous should pain. He puts his hands behind my back while I'm lying down, deep breath and then pulls and twists and you 'feel' it move. It does hurt but afterwards I can move and am pain free!
For a few weeks. He also massages the tight muscles - that can be uncomfortable and releases my neck.
So for a while I am pain free but it does need doing every few weeks. Probbaly cos my back was damaged in a car crash and I have MS. He treats me for free too.

needmorecoffee Sat 25-Oct-08 14:02:02

that should read 'shoulder pain'

BananaSkin Sat 25-Oct-08 14:26:48

Ouch, that sounds painful. Good of him to do it for free ...

asicsgirl Sat 25-Oct-08 19:29:51

ooh i looooove my osteo. he's a miracle worker. don't know where i would be without him. in fact i have a stack of his little cards that i give out to people when they complain of cricked necks etc. i tell him he should give me a discount as i send so much business his way...

trefusis Sat 25-Oct-08 19:42:27

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Sat 25-Oct-08 19:46:07

"does need doing every few weeks" If you're able to do it, Pilates builds up the muscles that support your spine and these then help keep it in the position the osteopath puts it

fatzak Sat 25-Oct-08 19:55:55

Agree that it is the only thing for back pain. My Dad is in loads of pain but just won't believe me how good an osteo is.

needmorecoffee Sat 25-Oct-08 20:24:38

I thought about pilates but can't afford a class and because I have a danaged spine and multiple sclerosis was too nervous to try it at home.

BananaSkin Sun 26-Oct-08 08:22:01

Fatzak - my Dad is like this too. Terrible back pain daily but doesn't believe in this 'namby pamby stuff' shock

SoupDragon Sun 26-Oct-08 13:16:28

With your problems you'd probably need 1 to 1 sessions to start with, NMC. Which is a shame because it does help.

Carmenere Sun 26-Oct-08 13:23:04

I agree with Soupdragon, dp is an osteopath (so I literally love my osteopathwink) and he recommends pilates as a way of helping on-going problems

SoupDragon Sun 26-Oct-08 18:49:00

Do you give payment in kind, Carmenere?

cocoleBOO Sun 26-Oct-08 18:51:59

NMC the Darcy Bushell pilates DVD is excellent it's very gentle, I was able to use it with a damaged pelvis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now