Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I can't believe that....

(9 Posts)
Alderney Wed 09-Mar-05 09:08:31

in such a huge group of wonderful caring and sharing people...no-one can help me with my question about a fibroid removal operation....

Apparently these things are really common, and although most of them don't have to be removed, a small proportion do and someone here must have had that done, or had a Mum or a sister or a best friend who has had it done....

Can anyone answer my questions - I posted it yesterday and no-one replied

------------------

I am due to have a fibroid removed from my uterus soon - it has encroached on the uterine wall - when you do a scope you can clearly see the fibroid at the top of my uterus and I think it goes all the way through....

I forgot to ask my consultant at the time, but does anyone know if this will ruin my chances of a VBAC - I have already had a section to have Pufflet and I'm just thinking that this is bound to cause another point of weakness in my uterine wall...

Also does anyone know how "laid up" I'll be after this- I have to have a general and I know I'll have to get Mr Alderney to take a few days off work to look after Pufflet after that, but does anyone know how much I'll be laid up/in pain/bleeding...

Evesmama Wed 09-Mar-05 09:09:57

i cant help aldernysorry , but no one would ignore you, prob thought someone else would come along who knew about it

nailpolish Wed 09-Mar-05 09:12:04

sorry i cant help, i dont know anything about this at all. surely someone will, or can you not get on the phone and call your mw who looked after you post-baby, your hv, gp or you should be able to call the consultant you saw. hope everything goes ok, i understand your concern

mrsflowerpot Wed 09-Mar-05 09:12:27

No experience of this, sorry, but there is an old thread here that might help. Otherwise keep bumping this up, or put Fibroid in the title so people know what it's about.

Hope you get your answers soon.

Tissy Wed 09-Mar-05 09:15:38

alderney, I haven't had this done, and don't know anyone who has. I have a fibroid and they're really common, but most don't get removed (my gynaecologist/ obstetrician advised me to live with mine). Why is yours being removed?

Alderney Wed 09-Mar-05 09:30:16

Hi Everyone - thanks so much..

Mine is being removed because it encroaches on my uterine wall - basically what I understand is that its a bit like an iceberg - when you look in my uterus there is some on the "inside" but then there also appears to be some on the outside...

We want to ttc#2 but we will have problems ANYWAY - I don't ovulate etc - my peiods are treally really crappy and my gynaecologist is sure that its related to both of these things - the fibroid and my mack of ovulation so he is going to take away the fibroid and then work on the ovulation part of it all....

When I spoke to my gynaecologist (who is just lovely) he made it sound like it was pretty optional the surgery - I think not to freak me out - but when I spoke to my gp last week and she had received the report from him it was made pretty clear that it was necessary....

Mr Alderney has to take time off work to look after Pufflet - my biggest concern is making sure he has enough time off so I'd really lvoe to knwo if it will be 3 days recovery or 2 weeks...

I also need to lose loads of weight - lost 3 stone already - but to do this I HAVE to go to the gym - diet itself has no effect, so I need to know how long I'll be off my energetic gyming as that makes a huge difference to me too...

Thanks so much girls for replying - you are all lovely....!! I came over here from a previous forum where I was often ignored so I'm a little scarred and scared....

Thanks so much...

AnnieQ Wed 09-Mar-05 10:46:04

Can't help but bumping in case someone else can.

mummytosteven Wed 09-Mar-05 10:48:43

sorry, don't know much about this myself - but one of the few things I do know is that having a fibroid in itself could also mean there was more chance of having a C-Section - all depends on size/position of uterine wall.

my mum was considering have something done about a fibroid but has decided not to so for various reasons so I only know snatches about this..

dyzzidi Wed 16-Mar-05 17:00:35

Hi Alderney

I am also waiting to have a fibroid removed I think it is alled a myomectomy. I don't know how to do links but try www.femisa.org.uk/myomectomy_faq.htm.

I am having the surgey to remove fibroid for IVF treatment as ttc my first child after a miscarriage. I have had major surgery three times before to remove endometriosis and scar tissue so I kind of know what to expect. Yes you will need to have Mr alderney to look after you afterwards for at least a week. You also have to take it really easy for about 6 weeks or it will affect your recovery.

I would love to chat to you more about it sorry I missed your original post.

CAT me if you wish or just post on here I tend to check on mumsnet every day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: