Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Who has or has had a Mirena coil and what did/do you think of it ??

(39 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Thu 23-Oct-08 11:57:09

My gp wants me to have one fitted in the hope that it will stop my periods, meaning that I no longer get the hideous period pains I get, where I end up curled up in aball on the floor hmm.

Gp said that in 80% of women, it does completely stop their periods.

I have said I will think about it.

So, opinions on it please. Gp said that in 80% of women, it does completely stop their periods.

whoops Thu 23-Oct-08 11:59:27

It stopped my periods, I lasted 2.5 years with one and then started being affected by the hormone in it but my sister had one for years with no problems and others have too
I personally wouldn't have it again but then I don't need to now!
There was a huge long thread on here about it at one time

IllegallyBrunette Thu 23-Oct-08 12:01:20

How did the hormones start to affect you ??

Please feel free not to answer that if it is too personal.

Prufrock Thu 23-Oct-08 12:07:14

I'm in the 80%. I had an implanon, andit didn't really work very well in terms of reducing bleeding, but I've now had the mirena in for 3 months and I've gone from filling a mooncup every2 hours for 4 days to light spotting.

Insertion was bloody painful. But I'd do it again.

whoops Thu 23-Oct-08 12:08:46

I gained quite a bit of weight, had bad mood swings (dh noticed a difference within 2 weeks of me having it removed) I was a lot more tired than normal too - I had it removed in 2006 and am trying to think how else it affected me!

IllegallyBrunette Thu 23-Oct-08 12:10:36

Thanks Prufrock.

Tbh my periods are very very light and don't bother me at all, it is the pain that goes with them that is the problem.

Did I dream this, or am I correct in thihnking that you have to have the coil fitted whilst you are actually having your period ??

If it is true then there would be a problem as I can't even breath without being in agony, when I am on, never mind have someone rummage about in my fanjo.

IllegallyBrunette Thu 23-Oct-08 12:11:54

Ah i see, thanks whoops.

I think i'd have to weight up which was worse, the pain or any side effects.

whoops Thu 23-Oct-08 12:13:10

yes you do have it fitted when you are having a period! I found insertion uncomfortable too as I had not had a natural birth (another reason for not having it again!)

Prufrock Thu 23-Oct-08 12:13:37

No, you should have it fitted just after, preferably before ovulation.

Have you tried a mooncup. There is anecdotal evidence that it lessens cramps - something to do with being less invasive than tampons?

Housemum Thu 23-Oct-08 12:19:20

Had mine fitted after DD3 so hadn't yet had period. You don't get it fitted on your period, but they ask you to go in after a period and to sign to say you haven't had sex since last period so there's no chance you're pregnant. Still no periods but am stil BF so can't say if that's permanent. No weight gain or mood swings here. Uncomfy having it fitted but not agony. Little griping pain in evening but took paracetamol. Bleeding (like last day of a period) for about 6/7 weeks after - thought I was going to have to have it out but then it stopped. Light bleeding type discharge after sex first few times (sorry if TMI but guess you want to know everything!) but not any more. Have had it 7 months now.

IllegallyBrunette Thu 23-Oct-08 12:22:06

Thanks all, very helpful.

Pleased to hear that I wouldn't have to have it fitted whilst on a period, because i'd probably pass out.

I don't think a mooncup would work in my case because my pains start about 4 days before my actual period, and then i bleed for about 1/2 days and then the pains continue for another few days.

Have to pop out now, but definatly interested in hearing anyone elses opinions on it.

PonderingThoughts Thu 23-Oct-08 12:23:40

I have one at the moment - have had it for 18 months. Had it fitted whilst I had a laproscopy so was out for the count.

Had no problems with it at all for 18 months - everything text book! I now have the occasional spotting for a day or two.

However - and here's the down side....I still get lower back ache and a very mild feeling of period pain each month, even though no (or very very very litte bleeding).

Also, the last cycle I went through something weird happened hormone-wise as I actually thought I was pregnant. Had all symptoms...sickness, sore breasts, tired, emotional, headachey, cravings over food...all very odd. Blood test at docs revealed not pregnant, but waiting to see what happes this month.

If it's the Mirena doing weird things to my hormones it's coming out!

Also, from my experience, GP's/medics tell us x & y about the Mirena, but it seems to me that the REAL woman who have had it seem to know more and agree with each other's experiences - so I'm not feeling as trusting to what the GP's say about the Mirena personally!!

barbie1 Thu 23-Oct-08 12:23:51

i had my mirena for 3 years due to not being able to have any other form of contraceptives (long story) its not advised before having a baby but i went with it anyway.....it was fine for the time i had it, painful being inserted though! just a word of advice though, when mine was removed in may i feel pregnant within 6 weeks even though i had no af in between and sadly it ended up in mmc at 12 weeks sad after getting adviced i was told that the coil can lead to a higher rate of mc....so if you do still want children in the future i would think hard about it xx

barbie1 Thu 23-Oct-08 12:25:13

oh by the way, i only had v, light periods on it, if none at all...good luck

jesuswhatnext Thu 23-Oct-08 12:37:27

i'm on my second - don't seem to have had any problems with it - but i do wonder if they are more suitable for older women like myself who dont want any more dcs.

i have also been told that using the mirena will help to lessen menopause symtoms, hope so as i seem to be going down that road right now hmm

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Thu 23-Oct-08 12:48:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MortBlackCatResident Thu 23-Oct-08 12:56:56

<lurks as she's having one fitted in a couple of weeks>

elsiepiddock Thu 23-Oct-08 13:03:42

My experience - painless to have inserted, stopped periods.

But - made me put weight on (ist time ever), spotty(ditto)and in a permanent bad mood.

solo Thu 23-Oct-08 13:13:44

I'm going for a scan tomorrow to see if mine's still there! I went to have it removed and no threads! I still have heavy periods and it took 15 months for the constant spotting and sometimes constant heavyish bleeding to stop. I'm now into week three of my period, though it's just gone down to spotting, but it was heavy for 12 days. The 15 day periods are not usual for me, they are usually 7~8 days, but always heavy. Mood swings galore and occasional acne which I've never had in my life before! I've piled on over 2 stones since it was put in in April 2007.
On the flip side I have at least three friends who've had them in for years, no weight gain, no bleeds at all and no mood swings...I wish it had worked for me, but it didn't.

whoops Thu 23-Oct-08 13:15:52

Barbie - interesting what you say about m/c I had a mmc after falling pg after having mine removed too

NotBigNotClever Thu 23-Oct-08 13:16:13

I'm on my second. I had the first one for a year and then had it removed because I wanted another baby. Got pregnant the first month post-removal and everything went to plan - despite me being 39. Got another mirena fitted 3 months after the birth and carried on bf for 2 years. Periods have reduced to slight spotting with no cramping (had absolutely horrendous periods before), although there is some occasional random bleeding after sex, but that is down to the coil according to my GP (yes, I had a smear and thorough exam). I do think that the hormonal component is messing with my mind a bit. Have had bad mood swings, but am currently putting up with them as no other contraceptive really works for me (can't tolerate pill) and the not-having-periods thing is fantastic. No weight gain. I will be needing to replace mine in about 18 months. I plan to have 3 months with no coil to see if some of things I suspect are side effects really are. At the moment, the pros are greater than the cons.

Tiggiwinkle Thu 23-Oct-08 13:19:08

My periods were very light (and I mean very as in almost non-existant) with the Mirena. No pain with them either.
I had some spotting for a few months when I first had it fitted but again this was very light.

frazzledoldbag34 Thu 23-Oct-08 13:19:30

Had it put in (not painful at all)
Bleeding (quite heavy) off and on for a few months but then gradually getting less and less until sometimes didn't have any at all. Was ok - just didn't like the fact I put on quite a bit of weight (I think definitely as a direct result of having it in) but then I always gained weight on the pill too.

Had it taken out 3.5 months ago and am now 3 months pg so didn't affect my fertility at all.
I'd try it and see if it works for you but be warned it may take up to 6 months for your body to adjust and your bleeding to settle (mine did). But then I've got about 4 friends with Mirena in who don't get (and didn't from the start) get any periods/bleeding with it at all. Like all these things it varies.

NotBigNotClever Thu 23-Oct-08 13:21:55

Oops, yes, forgot to mention that it took a good 6 months for the bleeding to disappear with the second coil. With the first one it was more or less instantaneous. YMMV.

barbie1 Thu 23-Oct-08 14:08:50

whoops how soon did you fall after you had it taken out, there was a tread earlier and 9 out of 10 of the posters had a mc after?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now