Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding In-Between Periods - What Can It Be? Please Help if u can

(22 Posts)
interflora Tue 21-Oct-08 21:47:47

Hi, my last period was 14 October, so only 7 days ago, the period only lasted 3 days very, very light bleeding, nothing much - so worried as I have started bleeding last night, and although no bleeding at all today, I am bleeding again tonight.
Sorry don't mean to give tmi but it doesn't drip out like a period onto a pad, its just fresh red blood on the paper when I wipe.

Also had very bad pain on left side about 10 days or so ago, severe at first but has eased off now - not sure if that's connected to the bleeding inbetween periods????

Obviously worried sick as I have young childen.

I would be ever so grateful for any advice from anyone please, thanks

interflora Tue 21-Oct-08 21:49:50

Anyone know the symptoms of womb, cervical, ovarian & other 'womens' cancers? please help if you can, desperately worried, can't help wondering if its cancer or something equally serious.

mazzystartled Tue 21-Oct-08 21:50:53

ok
you need it checked out
asap
it is most likely to be something totally unsinister
polyp
ovulation spotting
little bit of erosion

don't freak out, but get to the docs

all the best

mazzystartled Tue 21-Oct-08 21:51:51

and don't google

it will only give you stuff to worry about unneccessarily

ceciliaaherne Tue 21-Oct-08 21:55:14

Is it only when you go to the loo? You could be confusing it with menstrual blood and perhaps it is a kidney infection if you have pain? Are you on the pill?

ceciliaaherne Tue 21-Oct-08 21:55:59

Is there any way you could be pregnant?

interflora Tue 21-Oct-08 21:58:22

thanks for your advice.

no i'm not on the pill - never have been

i've been pregnant eight times in as many years = 7 children.

wonder if it could be the onset of menopause - nearly 39? could it be that?

please please please convince me its not cancer, i've no relatives to care for my children...sorry can't type any more tears dripping on the keyboard, i am desperately worried, what if?

interflora Tue 21-Oct-08 22:03:35

yes i could be pregnant i suppose, isn't it a bit soon after my period though? or could it be sign of breakthrough bleeding? implantation bleed? or threatened miscarriage? trust me i'd rather it be one of those than anything more sinister.
Despite being pregnant many times, I don't remember all the fine details especially from very early pregnancy - just the miscarriage at 6 weeks? OMG I am sick with fear.

ceciliaaherne Tue 21-Oct-08 22:04:06

It might be the menopause. Agree with mazzy, it is more than likely to be totally unsinister but you must get it checked out for your own piece of mind at the very least. You can't be worrying yourself sick at what might be when it could be something that could be remedied very easily. Phone the doctor tomorrow and try to get an appointment as soon as possible. He or she will probably be ablo to reassure you much better than us. I think the chances of it being a cancer are much much smaller than you are allowing yourself to imagine. Please let us know how you get on, and if you are still worrying and need to chat, then keep posting.

interflora Tue 21-Oct-08 22:06:08

As soon as i know what's happening I will let you know, thankyou xx

ceciliaaherne Tue 21-Oct-08 22:07:00

Yes, you could be pregnant and had an implantation bleed when you thought it was your period. Either way, you need to get this bleeding checked out. Have you had that in any other pregnancy? It is probably more likely to be that than what you think especially since you did not immediately rule out pregnancy

asdmumandteacher Tue 21-Oct-08 22:09:21

I have bleeding on and off throughout the month and have PCOS. Had a scan of womb and ovaries couple of months ago and this is what they condirmed to me

interflora Tue 21-Oct-08 22:12:34

I never had 'early' bleeding in pregnancies, apart from when i miscarried at 6 weeks, started bleeding on the day i was 6 weeks pregnant, but that was dark/brownish/dirty-looking old blood iyswim. The other time I bled at 13 weeks, but that was a really massive bleed, pool of blood on the floor - I had been moving furniture to clean the house, and next thing whoosh.

OMG please prey its a pregnancy not anything sinister, and if its pregnancy may it continue to term. Thankyou Thankou Thankyou loads, I will keep you updated as soon as I know what's happening. Thanks again x

asdmumandteacher Tue 21-Oct-08 22:16:14

I had bleeding in both of my pregnancies at 6 weeks for a couple of days and then from 12-16 weeks on and off...it certainly could be. Try not to worry.xxxx

ceciliaaherne Tue 21-Oct-08 22:16:45

will keep checking in

TheyCallMeStacey Tue 21-Oct-08 22:22:17

Hi interflora,
sorry you are feeling so panicky and upset, it is horrible to imagine the worst.
I had odd bleeding between periods, scared myself so much but has turned out to be hormonal probably caused by PCOS.
Please don't worry, go to doc and get it checked if you are not pregnant, are you up to date with smears?
and don't google!!
keep us posted and please don't feel so scared.

skyatnight Tue 21-Oct-08 22:48:39

You could try a search for other threads on this subject in Mumsnet, I think there are some.

I have had bleeding inbetween periods, intermittently. I went to my GP about it a year or so ago. She did an internal examination, smear test, Chlamydia test, blood test for anaemia and hypothyroidism. All tests came back as negative and no obvious sign of polyps or fibroids.

Im ny case, the GP felt it was probably bleeding at ovulation. Probably due to erosion and/or delayed hormonal changes after a pregnancy and/or the beginning of the perimenopause.

I would definitely go to your GP to have it checked out. I got a bit frightened about it at the time but, as others have said, the odds are heavily against it being anything serious so please try not to worry.

Also agree - don't google. The symptoms for lots of things, benign and more serious, are the same and you will only scare yourself and have a sleepless night.

Sawyer64 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:59:48

Definitely agree it will probably be Hormonal.
Although we all know its "abnormal" to bleed in between,its an early warning sign if things arent as they should be,not a late one.
Try to focus on this,if it was something nasty,and its a big "if",your body is warning you early.

So try to keep calm,see your GP,and I'm sure things will be ok.

SubRosa Tue 21-Oct-08 23:00:40

If this has only just started happening, it's VERY unlikely to be anything sinister. I bled between periods for years and it was caused by an ovarian cyst.

Go to your GP or sexual health clinic, to put your mind at rest.

SubRosa Tue 21-Oct-08 23:01:32

I should have said - I'm not an expert, but have had period problems for years

ceciliaaherne Wed 22-Oct-08 23:23:24

How are you today Interflora?

purplebee Tue 28-Oct-08 09:02:36

I had exactly the same thing, infact I came on today to ask people about it. The pain in my left side got really bad and I insisted on being refered to radiologist. My results came back yesterday and the bleeding was being caused by a polyp in my womb. This is a small growth and needs to be checked out but they are fairly common and easily removed. Just ask your GP to refer you to a gyno. Please try not to worry (easier said than done, I know!) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now