Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS complaining of sore, itchy foot. What could it be??

(16 Posts)
Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 08:41:09

He's complained of this before but not to the extreme of yesterday. And it kept him awake most of the night.

It's the sole of his right foot. He keeps rubbing it on the carpet and getting quite agitated and upset. He asks us constantly to scratch it. There are no marks, no swelling, no cuts. He hasn't been outside with his bare feet.

He finally got to sleep when I gave him calpol. I've told DH to give him Piriton if the itching continues (he's at home with the kids today).

Sometimes he wouldn't walk on it yesterday!

Anyone any suggestions? Should I be taking him to the GP? Could it be something wrong with the bones/tendons, but he's perceiving it as an itch on his skin?

He's 3.7 yrs BTW. Advice really appreciated.

nnosam Tue 08-Mar-05 08:48:56

give it another day or so, and if its still that bad, then a trip to the docs, but if you cant see anything then the doc wont either but he might refur you to see someone.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 08:54:12

Thanks nnosam. I've been quite worried about his foot. His 4th toe site slightly under his third toe, exactly the same as DH. I was worried that it was perhaps starting to effect the bones in his foot. But DH never had any problems.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 09:28:45

Bump.
Anyone have a suggestion as to what is causing his discomfort?

rickman Tue 08-Mar-05 09:43:53

Message withdrawn

Cooperoo Tue 08-Mar-05 09:46:28

Athelete foot?? That can be itchy and sore and not aways really obvious.

Potty1 Tue 08-Mar-05 09:55:46

Chilblain? i have one on my forth toe at themoment and it is very itchy and sore.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 09:58:51

It's right in the centre of the soul of his foot and toward the heel. So I don't think it's atheletes foot. How would he get chillblains in the house and in bed though? I've had them before and they are bloody painful, but I get them when my feet have been very cold..... like when I've been skiing.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 09:59:33

And how do you treat chilblains if that's what it is? Thanks.

rickman Tue 08-Mar-05 10:04:09

Message withdrawn

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 10:09:02

Thanks Rickman - But it doesn't sound like chilblains either.

Potty1 Tue 08-Mar-05 10:52:20

I get childblains every winter, despite central heating, warm socks, bedsocks etc.

Although I agree Toothache if its on the sole of his foot it doesn't sound like chilblains.

scotlou Tue 08-Mar-05 11:02:42

This is pretty revolting but I have a fungal infection on my foot which started as athlete's foot then spread to most of the sole of the foot and the nails. It is incredibly itchy and can keep me awake. I would get him checked at the GPs as the only thing that has finally controlled mine is anti-fungal medication (don't know whether they would prescribe this to a child or not). Also, if it is a fungal infection and spreads to the toe nails it is a nightmare to get rid of!!

psychomum5 Tue 08-Mar-05 11:12:55

Could it be Hands fott and mouth???

My kiddies have had it (and me too from them), and it does cause very itchy feet. Hands itch sometimes too, and there are often small tiny blisters in the mouth. One foot would be indicative of something else really, but just an option I thought of..

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 11:14:40

Thanks everyone. There really are no marks on his foot at all. Smooth as a babies bum!! So I can't imagine it's a fungal infection.

He's had Hand Foot & Mouth before and there were definite blisters.

It really is a mystery!!

Cooperoo Tue 08-Mar-05 14:21:45

A real mystery. Hope you get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now