Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tissue damage after an I V thingy - how long does it take to heal?

(10 Posts)
LadyOfRoffle Tue 21-Oct-08 13:02:40

I was on a drip & had IV antibiotics every few hours for 5 days about 8 weeks ago, but after the first day it because very painful and a day or so later they have to resite the thingy magingy because they couldn't get anything in anymore, no mater how high the settings were or how hard they pushed the syringe (ouch!) A day later, DS also had the same - they had to resite because nothing went in his either anymore. All up the side of my wrist was very sore but still now, 8 weeks later if I so much as brush a jumper against it it feels tingly and sore. Is it something that jus goes away eventually? Something I need to see GP about? (it is very sore) And my main question was will DS be likely to have the same? I have been careful with his feet (where he had the IV thingy) because I know how much mine hurts, but as he is so young he obviously can't tell me it hurts! Thanks

LadyOfRoffle Tue 21-Oct-08 13:03:34

because = became

LadyOfRoffle Tue 21-Oct-08 19:07:10

^gentle nudge^

wissyssis Tue 21-Oct-08 22:34:06

Hi,Some people, unfortunately, have thinner veins that others and have trouble tolerating a cannula in an vein for any length of time.If you stil need iv's then the only option is to resite the cannula.
It shouldn't be still so sensitive after 8 weeks, I would ring NHS Direct or ask to speak with your practice nurse or GP tomorrow.
Regarding your son's feet does he wince or cry if you touch the area? does it look red or inflamend? if he doesn't react to touching it then it's probably OK. I would still check with whoever you talk to.
I had cannulas in both my elbows for a few days which started to get blocked and they didn't hurt at all after the cannulas were removed. The resited one in my wrist also didn't hurt after it was removed.

Sawyer64 Tue 21-Oct-08 22:39:20

I'd definitely get the GP/Practice Nurse to check it,as this does sound painful and 8 weeks seems far too long for it still to be so.

Poledra Tue 21-Oct-08 22:46:09

8 weeks seems a long time - I had 3 IVs in total when I had appendicitis, and even the reeeeeeally sore one had resolved before that.

normansmum Tue 21-Oct-08 22:57:39

see gp about it. shouldnt be sore 8 weeks later. in meantime try paracetamol or brufen and cold compress. hope that helps

LadyOfRoffle Tue 21-Oct-08 22:59:43

DS doesn't wince when I touch his foot so hopefully his healed. Will maybe try and see GP tomorrow, although what can they do? Is it fixable/treatable ( I cannot spell that word tonight! treatebal? err?!) It isn't red, just almost stings, very odd feeling. All the way from near my knuckle though right down the side of my wrist an arm to about 1/2 way to my elbow.

normansmum Tue 21-Oct-08 23:02:43

it should wear off eventually but worth seeing gp bout it as not normal after iv. they may have other suggestions.

LadyOfRoffle Wed 22-Oct-08 00:47:02

I forgot how sore it actually was, I have just become used to having my arm in funny positions etc. I just stroked it and it stung like mad - definatly seeing GP Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: