Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Reflux in newborn baby. Any tips or general support will be appreciated.

(8 Posts)
MyNameisJane Mon 20-Oct-08 22:24:19

My friends lo has got reflux. I haven't fully introduced her to the nest of vipers mumsnet yet, I thought I would send her this link so she knows she's not alone and can come here for support on virtually anything and everything.

So please, let her know there's light at the end of the tunnel and share your coping straegies here.

Thanks!

Elibean Mon 20-Oct-08 22:34:55

Um, you wouldn't be someone else on my PN thread, would you? smile

My dd2 had reflux, and it was horribly stressful to start with - my sympathies to your friend. Is her LO on meds? I found persistence vital with my GP; she didn't want to prescribe to start with, and we ended up having to go to the paediatrician back at the hospital dd was born at.

Everyone's experience is different, but: I found Gaviscon fairly useless - it constipated dd, made her throw up a bit less but did nothing for the pain/yelling/arching. Ranitidine and Domperidone did work, but took a week or two to kick in properly - though helped a bit straight away. We gave it to her in milk from early on, because she learnt to spit it out super-fast!

If those meds don't help, yell for the next step up - I think its Omeprazole, usually. Your baby, and you, deserve him/her not to be in pain.

We propped the head of her cot up on books, and put a towel under the head of the mattress so she was on a slope. We also had her sleep on her side, though this was partly for other reasons.

Don't pat on the back to wind - much better to stroke upwards, or just hold on shoulder for a while and pat under bottom gently. If you pat too hard on back, it encourages stomach contents back up the valve.

It does get better, I promise...some people find weaning helps (many do, I'm told). We didn't, though, so don't panic if it seems to come back/get worse when you start solids: that passes too.

dd2 is nearly 2, and has been off all meds for a few months now....and had no symptoms from about 8 months onwards, bar a tendency to throw up more easily than her sister ever had (coughs, colds, tummy bugs etc make her chuck up her milk easily).

And most of all, feel free to post any time of day or night to ask for support...it can be just as hard on you as on your baby, when you feel alone/overwhelmed with it all. Congrats on your new baby, and hope you get lots of posts here!

AnneOfAvonlea Tue 21-Oct-08 12:05:52

No experience but just wanted to add some sympathy for your friend, and a welcome to mumsnet when she appears

ib Tue 21-Oct-08 12:11:19

Ds had terrible reflux, which led to failure to thrive. It was living hell, he screamed all day and could only sleep in my arms, on the boob and upright or in a sling. And he just-would-not-gain-weight, no matter what we did - until we finally found a doc who acknowledged the problem and got him on meds (omeprazole and metoclopramide in our case).

And then, from one month to the next, it was all over. He started gaining weight at a rate of knots, sleeping (well sometimes, a bit) and is now a generally healthy, happy almost 2 year old.

Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

Iloveautumn Tue 21-Oct-08 12:18:19

Definitely seek medical advice and keep on if the meds don't work at first.

Keep baby upright as much as poss, esp after feeds.

Keep reminding yourself that the baby is in alot of pain and that is why they are crying, it's nothing to do with what you're doing as a parent.

It will get easier with time....

My sympathies, ds had reflux and colic and it was really hard work....

LenniEd Tue 21-Oct-08 13:58:26

DD also had reflux - second keeping upright, that helped. Also don't get obsessed over winding as we often did, I'd be convinced she had trapped wind, when actually she was just in pain from the reflux.

It was a here today, gone tomorrow thing with DD - went at about 7 months and she has been fine since.

It took us about 4 months to get a proper diagnosis. Up until then the HV kept telling me it was normal, then one day out of desperation I took her to see my GP who took one look at her and said "Obviously reflux" which was partly a relief and also quite daunting that my precious baby could have something wrong with her.

I used to sing nursery rhymes through the screaming if it was bad to keep myself sane, and would take turns with DH to hold her upright against our chests to let her sleep for a while if she was restless in the night.

Also kept spare changes of everything everywhere all the time, in the car, in the living room, in our bedroom.... to make it less traumatic when she was sick so we could get her cleaned up quickly.

LenniEd Tue 21-Oct-08 14:05:52

Meant to say - we also didn't find weaning helped, especially not purees. In fact they seemed to worsen it. At about 30weeks we started BLW instead of going the puree route. By that time the reflux had eased.

NBheebieGeebies Tue 21-Oct-08 14:07:26

My ds1 had reflux.
We were very lucky in that it was diagnosed very early. I think ds was 2 weeks.

I found BF him very hard and he just vomited straight after feeding, not to mention the screaming to latch on.
I was desperate in the end and our GP recommended a formula milk called Enfamil. Its thicker than normal formula so it stays down a bit more than normal formula or breast milk.

It helped alot, although it didn't stop the vomiting, it was less frequent.

Like others have said, keeping them upright after a feed helps, tilting their cot/crib/moses basket on a night helps too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: