Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone any experience of hepatobiliry problems?

(8 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Mon 20-Oct-08 22:00:39

My dad has been referred from our local hosp to a bigger one in town because of hepatobiliary problems. No idea what kind of problem. He asked me to find out about it for him and so i can prepare my sister and half bro and sis if its not likely to be anything good.(thanks for that dad)

I can't find much that is of use to him other than info on liver tumours.(or is that what it is?)

I don't know much about his general health, i tend to not see him for long periods of time and then will see him every few weeks for a couple of months.

luvaduck Mon 20-Oct-08 22:13:39

I'm afraid I need more to work with - hepatobilary just means anything to do with the liver or bile ducts/gallbladder. it covers a wide range of illnesses - from gallstones, to pancreatic problems, to hepatitis and liver or bile duct tumours.
impossible to say without more info.

sorry!

hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

MerlinsBeard Mon 20-Oct-08 22:15:32

thats what i thought too.

i have some blood results but obv i am not a DR(although his is USELESS) but i think i am just trying to make them fit somewhere.

Am glad he has been referred on, he may get some answers finally.

I too hope it's nothing serious. it's not long since my half brother and sister lost their mum to horrific cancers. I don't want them to go thru that again

MerlinsBeard Mon 20-Oct-08 22:18:13

i don't think he is telling me all the results either, which makes it harder to find out anythign about!

Thank you for reply anyway!

luvaduck Mon 20-Oct-08 22:39:19

so what are the blood results - might be able to work something out from that

you poor thing
sad

MerlinsBeard Mon 20-Oct-08 22:49:50

he has told me...Anti nuclear anti body (is that the ANA- i can't read my own writing!) is 100
ALT 57 GGt 135 Amylase 52

He runs away from health things, he was offered a tube down his throat not so long ago to have a look at his stomach (he was always swigging gaviscon when i was younger, will forever remember that GIANT bottle) and he just ignored the letters.

I know he will find out sooner or later and he is going to try and get up here this week so will get him to bring the letter and results he has been given.

he isn't a drinker nowadays but used to drink (frequently in my recollection), not on any medication (asked already). i have also said that it doesn't matter what you look for medical wise online, it always tells you you have cancer!

luvaduck Mon 20-Oct-08 23:12:51

ok so GGT and ALT (liver enzymes) slightly up, not dramatic

amylase (apncreas) normal

ANA is usually given as a ratio eg 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000?

is it 1 in 100???

MerlinsBeard Tue 21-Oct-08 10:09:24

i don't know luva, he said its 100 so whether that is 1 IN 100 i don't know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now