Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have 1001 questions about the coil...can you just give me the pros and cons please.

(60 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 14:34:25

I just picked up the phone to make an appt to get one sorted but had a wobble again.

The idea of having a little device in there freaks me out.

I'm being ridiculous, aren't I?

I can't risk another unplanned child though. It'll set me over the edge.

VanillaPumpkinLantern Mon 20-Oct-08 14:42:01

I had one fitted three weeks ago. It is suiting me so far. Just remember you can always have it taken out if it doesn't suit you. This is easier than having it fitted in the first place. How did you get on with hormonal contraception (pill??)
I was so nervous too but I am so glad I have it now. The lack of remembering a pill every day is so liberating...

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Mon 20-Oct-08 14:43:11

i like that i dont have to think about it.

lulumama Mon 20-Oct-08 14:43:34

am very very happy with mine overall, had it 3.4 years and had no periods for almost 3 years... have had a couple of times i;ve been a bit freaked out as no spotting or anything, and panicked, but on the whole it is fine, have been through all the pros and cons and it is the best most efficient contraception for us. definitley don;t want any more, but not ready for sterilisation

ambercat Mon 20-Oct-08 14:44:39

I have been fine with mine for the last 3 yrs but now i want it out and have spent the morning at the gps with her hand up my fanjo and it is lost!!! got to go to hospital for a scan to see if they can find it!

luckylady74 Mon 20-Oct-08 14:45:12

The mirena coil has done wonders for me - I have no periods now and my endemetroisis is on hold! The insertion didn't hurt, but then I have 3 children blush. As to a little device in there - do you know that never crossed my mind - I was always far more worried by the high hormone level of the pill - the mirena is eqiv to 1/2 a pill per week I think.

jooseyfruit Mon 20-Oct-08 14:46:18

i've had my mirena about 6 weeks, it is great.
hardly any pain fitting it (really just an achey period pain for a few seconds). you don't notice it's there, honestly.

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 14:47:41

I haven't been on teh pill for years and years and wouldn't wnatto go back on it now.
We've used condoms for all that time but...well....ds4 is here because we haven't been careful enough!
Dh doesn't mind using them but I hate them, so often they don't get used.
I'm fed up with the all the "is it ok" malakry everytime.

He won't get a vasectomy either....

I think this is teh only way to go.

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 14:50:25

I think I'd get the normal one rather then the mirena.
I hate teh thought of artifical hormones being in my bloodstream <my body is a temple emoticon>

Is there a hufe differnece between the 2?

school run now, back soon.
xx

luckylady74 Mon 20-Oct-08 14:55:40

I was totally scared off the 'normal' coil because of reading about the awful periods you can have and the babies born with coils on their heads - may all be a myth I don't know.

mimiasovitch Mon 20-Oct-08 14:57:29

I'm on my second Mirena and cannot recommend it enough. No(or very little) periods and completely babyproof. As far as I know the regular coil gives heavier periods, but that may not be true in all cases.

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 16:31:23

I have heavy periods anyway so I'm sure I;d cope.

The thought of having no periods at all freaks me riiiight out.
I know the blood just isn't produced by theres a little voice inside my head that thinks "Ewwww where does it all go"

I spoke to teh doctors and they've referred me to the family planning clinic to go and have a chat about it.

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 16:32:30

Ho wis teh mirena "baby proof" butteh normal one not?

scorpio1 Mon 20-Oct-08 16:36:02

Mine was fantastic!!!

only had it out to have db3.

scorpio1 Mon 20-Oct-08 16:37:03

your periods may stary but be very light - i used to have stay in, with mirena they were 1 day long, so light, like 'mini' light.

Lowered my pmt too.

suwoo Mon 20-Oct-08 16:38:06

I have the copper one and not the mirena one. Had it in for 5 years between kids and had it straight back in after DS. Not a bad word to say about it at all.

Lilliput Mon 20-Oct-08 16:39:18

I am just mulling over having mine taken out and going back on the pill or maybe having a mirena instead. My PMT is awful without hormones and my skin is pretty bad too. As far a the coil as contraceptive goes it is great you don't have to think about it at all.

castille Mon 20-Oct-08 16:40:08

Ah LTH I could have written that. I don't like the idea of hormones etc, don't want the heavy periods that go with the copper coil and and feel a bit angry at DH because he doesn't want more babies but won't get the snip either (his body is a temple too) when the male snip is a lot less bother and more reliable than the female version.

<Puts watch on thread>

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 16:40:23

lowering PMT??!!!

God....can I get 200 of them and just eat them?

I've read teh mirena has a 'putting of weight' issue too.

It it means I'll pile on the pounds, I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe which would be appealing if clotghes shopping didn't make me weep.

liath Mon 20-Oct-08 16:41:43

Copper coil might make your peiods heavier, lasts 10 years, no hormones and fairly effective.

Mirena will make your peiods lighter, lasts 5 years and is statistically a better contraceptive than the copper coil. Some women have side effects from the progesterone in it, though.

I've had my mirena for 4 months now & am very chuffed with it. I even think I might be less moody!!

scorpio1 Mon 20-Oct-08 16:41:56

i didn't put any weight on, think that is individual.

I am going to have another one, after <<coughs>> dc4

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Mon 20-Oct-08 16:41:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

castille Mon 20-Oct-08 16:45:36

And is there any correlation between how you reacted to the pill (in terms of PMT, weight gain etc) and how you react to the mirena?

scorpio1 Mon 20-Oct-08 16:46:37

I was a nightmare on the pill, will never take it again. loved the coil, best thing ever for me. hth?

castille Mon 20-Oct-08 16:51:29

oh that's interesting. I was fine on the pill, but I know mirena has much lower hormone dosage so maybe I'd be even finer?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now