Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Reoccuring cold sores

(5 Posts)
CharleeInChains Mon 20-Oct-08 08:09:19

Just what the title says really.

I keep getting cold sores and painful spots, i have neve suffered from Acne but this past few months i am really spotty but with big painfull spots rather than a smattering of small ones and i have cold sores one after another which again really hurt.

It seems to have got worse this past few weeks and i have been healthy eating so do you think maybe the spots may be all the junk and toxins coming out my system?

CharleeInChains Mon 20-Oct-08 10:10:26

[sore smile]

quinne Mon 20-Oct-08 17:00:25

its a virus which lives next to the nerve. if you get run down then they appear. Unfortunately it is the herpes virus and there is no cure.

If I am upset or angry or nervous or unhappy then i get one. The only four things I know to minimise them is to try to be happy (!), take a vitamin supplement if run down, never touch one when you have it (and keep fingers well away from eyes and genitals!!!) and use zovirax cream from the moment the skin starts to tingle or you feel the tiny first lump. Some of the own brands are cheaper and claim to do the same thing, but zovirax is the strongest and works best.

Bleedodgy Mon 20-Oct-08 17:03:59

You can get acyclovoir tablets from your gp. You take 5 a day for 5 days and you will either have no coldsores for a year or if you do it will be a very small one that heals up quickly. Make sure you ask your gp for them they are expensive so some are reluctant to mention them but they have been fab for me.

exasperatedmummy Mon 20-Oct-08 17:15:39

That is intereting re the tablets, my DP gets some real humdinger of coldsores. Being run down is usually the cause, that and being in the sun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now