Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why does my bladder hurt for the first few days of every period?

(17 Posts)
CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 22:58:29

It's been happening for a few months now and it's driving me mad. It's like a stinging feeling and hurts a bit to wee but not dramatically. After about the third day it disappears until next time. Any ideas?

gigglewitch Sun 19-Oct-08 23:00:01

no expert, but is endometriosis a possibility?

AnarchyAunt Sun 19-Oct-08 23:02:06

Mild cystitis?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 23:02:23

Not sure. Will Google and see what the symptoms are. Thanks smile

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 23:05:17

I thought that AA, but why does it happen every time? Googled endometriosis but it says the main symptom is pelvic pain. I get period pains and this pain in my bladder, but how do youknow if it's endometriosis or not?

gigglewitch Sun 19-Oct-08 23:08:43

any use?

gigglewitch Sun 19-Oct-08 23:12:03

I had scans to diagnose - same sort of ultrasound as during pg. and as i know you're from "round 'ere" the L'pool Womens hosp was fab for this.

if that doesn't sound likely [wild guess] then get thee to a doc to get water tested?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 23:14:14

Thanks for the link gigglewitch. I do have painful periods but not massively so, just normal period pains. They used to be heavier and more painful before DD was born. Sex is painful at the start but pain goes away quickly. Always assumed that was due to bfing though. I'm usually always bloated and fatigued. Though the tiredness is pretty much par for the course with a sleepless toddler.

Am bit worried now.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 23:16:54

Supposed I'd better go to the docs about it. Probably not worth getting water tested as it only happens at start of period and has gone now.

gigglewitch Sun 19-Oct-08 23:18:10

Do not do worrying. Or Googling for that matter, it is so bad for you health grin

just get an appointment with gp or prac nurse and they will see if it's something or nothing. Hopfully the latter!!
Unless you had problems conceiving your dd, then you can probably bin the endo theory.
hope some nice mners with Clever Stuff turn up in a minute wink

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 23:20:23

I knew googling was a mistake grin No problems conceiving DD. I'll make an appointment tomorrow. Thanks for your help smile

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Mon 20-Oct-08 09:58:58

Bumping in case anyone's got any other ideas smile

cheshirekitty Mon 20-Oct-08 20:29:23

Could it be constipation. Your bowel could be loaded with faeces that is pressing on other organs ie the bladder.

If it happens every month, then goes after 3 days I do not think it will be a urinary tract infection.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Mon 20-Oct-08 22:48:21

hmmm, maybe. I don't feel constipated though and it's passing fine. Am going to ring the doctors in the morning and get an appointment, I needed to go anyway. Thankyou smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 21-Oct-08 10:04:06

CharChar

Any symptoms that are cyclical in nature and get worse around the time of menstruation may be due to endometriosis. It can certainly affect the bladder as well.

The fact as well that sex can be painful as well is another possible indicator of endometriosis. I would ask your GP for a referral to a gynae as any problems like this cannot be solved by the GP.

Good luck with the GP, I think you are wise to make an appointment with them anyway.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 21-Oct-08 12:19:24

Thanks Attila. Forgot to ask at the docs today hmm but I have to go back anyway so I'll ask then. I didn't expect anything like that so I hope it isn't.

lulabellarama Tue 21-Oct-08 12:23:41

I get cystitis every time I have my period and it is exactly as you describe. Try taking a cranberry extract and drinking plenty of water. That usually improves mine but doesn't stop it from happening unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now