Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a virus/illness make your hair go grey/white?

(12 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 17-Oct-08 20:32:04

Because although I had a bad summer I didn't think it was that bad

I just had about 2.5 inches cut off my hair & Last had in cut in the first week in September

At the front of my hair I have nearly an inch of white hairs - nearly 50% of my hair, before this I had barely 10%

I was so shocked (I will dye)

Is this due to being ill (bad cold, chest infection - 2x AB) for 4 weeks or something else?

expatinscotland Fri 17-Oct-08 20:32:42

the only thing i've heard of doing this is chemotherapy.

KatyMac Fri 17-Oct-08 20:37:48

Hmm - must be stress then

jenwyn Sat 18-Oct-08 10:22:16

Stress from illness can affect the hair folicles and make more hair fall out than normal .Not as much as chemotherapy mind but enough to allow the stronger white hair to show up.
I would dye it as you said you would and then take a good tonic to help get your strength back. Treat yourself kindly smile

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 18-Oct-08 10:26:35

It's because you're old.

<<cackles in an evil manner and hides box of hair dye in bathroom cabinet>>

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 11:16:29

I'm up, hair dyed & still feeling quite rough

Jbck Sat 18-Oct-08 11:38:36

Thyroid problems affect the texture of hair but I found the colour of mine changed at exactly the same time too Katy so I doubt it was coincidence. Is that a possibility?

It was coming in a kind of strawy colour I'm naturally red (well I was years ago when it started). Eventually went back to tit's normal colour tho'.

NoNickname Sat 18-Oct-08 11:41:15

My grandfather's hair started growing white/grey overnight after a car accident, so I'm sure it's possible.

chocolatelady Sat 18-Oct-08 11:41:40

age and stress will make them go white!! I recently got loads of new white hairs!!!angry not fun speacially if they are spiky!!

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 13:07:19

well at least it has gone a reasonable colour & the white hair looks like highlights now as they haven't taken as much colour

Polgara2 Sat 18-Oct-08 13:11:07

Stress most definitely does! Mum went white after losing her father and her first husband in a matter or weeks sad.

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 19:22:30

Oh poor her - That was all she needed

I will see how bad the regrowth is, if it is awful I will have to decide between either getting it professionally dyed or letting it grow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now