Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrible sinus pain

(5 Posts)
cuppachar Fri 17-Oct-08 15:05:07

Please can anyone recommend something I can take that's OK while breastfeeding? Colds often go to my sinuses but I've never had sinus pain as bad as this before. Feel like my head / right eye is going to explode. sad

pickledparsnips Sat 18-Oct-08 11:02:06

Hi, I had this and the only thing that helped was steam inhalation and a course of antibiotics which is fine when you're breastfeeding. Hope you feel better soon x

cuppachar Sat 18-Oct-08 23:21:42

Thanks pickledparsnips. I took ibuprofen on Friday but was later told by the pharmacist I shouldn't have while bf blush. She sent me away with some paracetomol and some olbas oil so I have been trying your steam inhalation cure today! Pain certainly not returned to Friday's levels so far..... fingers crossed.

MOrticiaAdams Sat 18-Oct-08 23:35:52

Try a flannel, as hot as you can get it on your check bone. I find that helps to ease the pain quite a lot. Hope you feel better soon.

moosemama Sun 19-Oct-08 15:20:53

Paracetamol, alternate hot and cold flannels on the forehead (and cheeks/nose depending which sinuses are affected) and steaming with essential oils such as olbas, karvol or eucalyptus 4 times a day. Plus plenty of hot drinks, pref not tea or coffee as milk cools it too quickly (you need the steam up yer nose) try hot blackcurrant or orange squash.

That was what I was told to do for a sinus infection when I was about 8-9 weeks pregnant. I've since had several more bouts of sinusitus (29 wks yesterday) for which I've done the same things and it really does help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now