Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't move me arm at night, help - bit worried.

(21 Posts)
macwoozy Sun 06-Mar-05 19:15:15

I've had this alot over the past week or so. It doesn't just feel like a typical case of having slept on my arm, and then not having any feeling for a while. When I wake I automatically realise I can't move it, it takes a huge effort to try and move it and after about 30 secs I can eventually do so. I experience no pins and needles, just temporary paralysis. Doesn't sound like a long time I know but it's very alarming. My heart is beating really hard and fast, and I felt breathless, although I don't know if this was more to do with me panicking. While looking on the internet, I've come across all these wierd and wonderful illnesses and diseases that I might have and so just to put my mind at rest I am wondering if anyone has experienced this. I do have a heart problem but I don't want to go to my gp if there is just a simple explanation.

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 06-Mar-05 19:22:21

I get that sometimes and without the normal pins and needles pains. Like you my heartbeats really fast but I always put it down to panicking.
I sometimes get it down one side of my head as well.

TracyK Sun 06-Mar-05 19:30:02

sometimes when i wake i have a dead arm or fingers/hand - even though i've not been lying on it. i wiggle it and it comes back - but i just put it down to a nerve being trapped by my excess baby weight!

noddyholder Sun 06-Mar-05 19:36:44

I have a heart condition and often get that sensation it is one of the thing I was most concerned about but the doctors dismissed it and it comes and goes with me.Is it your left arm?

TracyK Sun 06-Mar-05 19:41:03

it could be either - changes each time.

noddyholder Sun 06-Mar-05 19:47:54

Do you have a mitral valve problem as that can cause numb heavy limbs in some people as can some of the medications for heart conditions.Do you have cardiomyopathy?

TracyK Sun 06-Mar-05 19:50:39

not that i know of. i did have a dvt in pregnancy that developed into a PE about 10 months ago

macwoozy Sun 06-Mar-05 20:09:34

Noddyholder it is in my left arm, and I do have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, you do as well don't you. I am on Amiodarone and Altenelol. After my last echo, done last week, I was able to read the report from it (actually hid in the toilets reading my notes!) and it did state I had slight valve leakage, and systolic dysfunction, but don't quite know what to make of that, as I didn't bring it up at the time, too busy thinking about already prepared questions. Were your doctors not concerned then? Do you get temporary paralysis or heavy limbs, as I certainly can't move it at the time even though I give it all my strength.

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 06-Mar-05 20:15:59

Just out of curiosity MW and NH how did you find out you had a problem?

I'm not being a hypocondriac but sometimes I feel as though my heart has stopped beating and it's literally for a couple of seconds but it bothers me a bit and few weeks back someone else had posted about the same problem. I just wondered if I should get it checked out.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

macwoozy Sun 06-Mar-05 20:20:29

NBG, I always think its wise to get any concerns regarding your heart checked out. Even if its to put your mind at rest. I do know though, that it is very common to experience ectopic beats, which is totally harmless and like what you described. It feels like your heart has stopped for a minute. Cardiomyopathy is relatively uncommon 1 in 500, I think. What do you mean though about getting that sensation down one side of your head?

macwoozy Sun 06-Mar-05 20:23:47

I found out I had the condition from a medical that picked up a heart murmur, and then went on to have a ecg. I think ND is a bit more complicated though because of a kidney transplant beforehand. Apologies if I'm wrong Noddyholder

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 08-Mar-05 10:30:36

Just logged back on.
That sensation is literally down one half of my head and I only get it at night. It feels as though my head is just completly numb. There's no tingling like pins and needles just numbness.

Your probably right about the heartbeat thing, I guess if I did have problem I woul have known about it before now. Thanks anyway.

How are you anyway, have you had anymore numbness?

skerriesmum Tue 08-Mar-05 10:38:07

You could be having mini-strokes! Get that checked out girl!

loudmum Tue 08-Mar-05 10:40:25

I had something similar to this last year -- I felt like I could not move my arms in the morning... no pins and needles... and it never happeneded during the day... saw the doctos who did some pin prick tests and said it was all fine-- he said it was quite common for arms to feel heavy and dead in the morning... don't get it as much now - get it checked out just to put yor mind at rest

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 08-Mar-05 10:44:13

OMG do you mean me?

It does wear off though eventually, could it be just the way I'm sleeping?

macwoozy Wed 09-Mar-05 17:16:29

Newbarnsleygirl, I don't know which of us that skerriesmum was referring to but maybe we should both get ourselves checked out anyway. I really don't have a clue why you could be getting numbness down one side of your head, but I can imagine it does worry you too. Yes I got the arm problem again last night, and it terrifies me, but what a waste ot time worrying when it could be nothing, like Loudman suggested, so def going to go to docs just for piece of mind. I reckon you should to, come back and we can compare notes By the way, I always though that ministokes affected the complete side of your body rather than certain parts. Am I wrong?

nutcracker Wed 09-Mar-05 17:18:47

My arms go funny if i have been sleeping with them above my head. They go numb and hurt a bit.

Do you sleep with your arms above your head ??

macwoozy Wed 09-Mar-05 17:33:53

I don't tend to sleep with arms above head, not that I'm aware of. When you say your arms go numb, are you also unable to move them? I must sound like a right hyperchondriac, but when i have these strange episodes, my arm is totally paralysed, no amount of rubbing helps, I just have to wait until I am able to move it again.

spagblog Wed 09-Mar-05 17:44:23

Hmmm, this happened to me once. I lay there and stared at my arm, I couldn't move it at all. Then all of a sudden I regained the ability to move it and slapped myself in the face!

macwoozy Wed 09-Mar-05 17:47:29

Maybe I need a good slapping for over reacting

nutcracker Wed 09-Mar-05 17:59:26

It does usually take me a couple of seconds to be able to move them yeah, but i think thats because they have gone stiff.

If you are at all worried then i would get it checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now