Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constipated baby - feeding question

(16 Posts)
Janos Sun 06-Mar-05 19:04:25

My DS is bottlefed and normally drinks about 800 - 900ml a day. Yesterday and today he has taken a lot less. he is 13lbs 15oz and 17 weeks old.

I think he is constipated as he didn't poo for 2 days (normally at least once a day), today we've had three which he's never done before.

Also, when I hold him to feed he is crying and rejects the bottle after taking about 80-100mls, whereas he would normally take at least 150mls per feed. The only thing that calms him at this point is being cuddled in an upright position. Also, he is very grizzly and irritable - he is normally very contented and happy.

Just wondering - is this a sign he is constipated and is it OK for him to be drinking quite a bit less? Any advice much appreciated!

TracyK Sun 06-Mar-05 19:06:08

was he straining when pooing? was it solid when it came out?
maybe he's just got wind? or feeling a bit poorly and has a loss of appetite?

Janos Sun 06-Mar-05 19:13:28

It's not solid, Tracey K - his poos were normal.

It's possible he is feeling a bit poorly as he is very unlike his normal smiley, happy self. What happens is he will start feeding and then reject the bottle, refusing to take anymore. AM worried he will get dehydrated/ill if he doesn't have enough to drink. He is still sleeping OK and plenty of wet nappies.

I'm a stress-y first time mother in case you can't tell

TracyK Sun 06-Mar-05 19:28:14

theres a lot of bugs going round at the mo - your baby prob has one of them. As long as nappies are wet and skin and eyes look healthy he should be fine. offer water in between feeds if you think he's thirsty.
Its a bit young (but not unheard of i'm sure) - but could be his teeth - maybe not coming through yet but moving around under the gums??
Do you lay him back a bit as you feed him - maybe prop him up a bit - if it helps he may have sore ears.

biglips Sun 06-Mar-05 19:30:41

if my baba is constipated then ill give her 2oz of cooled boiled water and she is alot better after that

HappyMumof2 Sun 06-Mar-05 20:36:44

Message withdrawn

Janos Sun 06-Mar-05 21:35:16

I don't know if it's colic - he isn't crying all the time, it is very out of character for him, he is normally contented/relaxed.

HappyMumof2 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:39:22

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:40:32

Message withdrawn

sasa15 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:42:17

my ds was like that just before teething...
also when start solid....
they go into phases...and then better again...

the same happened with the drinks....

sasa15 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:43:10

i mean with the milk.........

give him a lot of water....dry apricots boiled and mixed with meals...puree'

Evs09 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:43:52

Have you tried the DR Brown Bottles (anti-colic) I find them fantastic and wouldn't be without them May be worth a try. Regards constipation my midwife advised me to give babes a teaspoon of fresh squeezed orange juice in about 2oz of water, That worked.

bobbybob Sun 06-Mar-05 21:45:40

Please do not give orange juice to a baby this age. It can cause allergies. I wish health visitors would stop saying this.

bunny2 Sun 06-Mar-05 21:49:37

Janos, my 14 wk old has been the same - I ended up ringing NHS Direct as I was so worried. This also happened a week ago and my hv suggested a tspn of prune juice (less likely to cause allergy) in water, I tried it and it worked really well.

crazy Sun 06-Mar-05 21:53:55

It sounds to me your ds has tummy ache, and feeling a little under the weather. Babies know what they need, and if he doesn't feel like his milk then trust him, that his body is telling him, he not up to it, just like us when we are poorly.

It is fine for him to not drink as much for a few days, if thats what is what is working for him at mo. If it continues for longer than 2 days though I would seek medical advice,

Try giving him a drop of orange juice and boiled water if you think its constipation.

Hope he gets better soon

Janos Mon 07-Mar-05 14:01:37

Thanks everyone for your advice, DS seems a little better today (fingers crossed). It's definetely not constipation, and he is taking more to drink today, so I think he may have a sore tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now