Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

<SHREEEEEKS> OMFG I think I have ........scabies........<entire MN population runs screaming from the unclean>

(15 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Fri 17-Oct-08 08:01:06

I'll put a sheeps head on the front door when I do the schoolrun.

The only thing that makes me think it isn't is that the itching bits aren't in the places they should be.....

Anyone got a back scratcher?

Flamesparrow Fri 17-Oct-08 08:02:07

argh

AnarchyAunt Fri 17-Oct-08 08:05:53

Where are you itching? Anyone else in the house affected? How long's it been going on? What does the rash look like? I know all about scabies after having it last year...

It isn't linked to being unclean btw.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 17-Oct-08 08:07:41

I have an unreasonable amount of experience of scabies..........

ladytophamhatt Fri 17-Oct-08 08:08:29

Just random little spots on my legs mostly, the odd one on my body and arms.

Looking at pictures it does look like scabies but in teh early stages, I've been itchy for a few days.

ladytophamhatt Fri 17-Oct-08 08:09:08

Don't think anyone else in the house is itchy...

heronsfly Fri 17-Oct-08 08:10:29

We also have great experience of scabies in our house, thanks to ds2 bringing them home from uni.
Dont remember any back scratching though grin

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 17-Oct-08 08:12:05

They usually start on the hands or around the wrists and you can often see a little line <where they burrow> Bleurgh. And later on the itching can be all over not just where the scabies are.

Are you sure it's not bites of another kind? Bed bugs? Or chickenpox?

AnarchyAunt Fri 17-Oct-08 08:12:27

Hmmm.

If it is scabies, everyone in the house needs treating at the same time as incubation is 4-6 weeks - otherwise you run the risk of going in circles reinfecting each other.

Go to doctor and ask (not that mine knew anything about it, I had to tell him), and they will give you stuff - nit lotion (malathion/Derbac) or permethrin cream (Lyclear).

Antihistamines might help itching a bit.

AnarchyAunt Fri 17-Oct-08 08:13:32

Yes itching/rash is not related to the site of the actual scabies mites. Its a generalised allergic reaction and can pop up anywhere.

yellowvan Fri 17-Oct-08 08:15:21

Is it in between your fingers, and looks like little red burrow lines and tiny exit holes? Pharmacist can give you something to shift it, a lotion you put on and shower off. Think the stuff also works on nits, to minimise the embarrassment factor when buying. The itching is like nothing else on earth.

heronsfly Fri 17-Oct-08 08:18:05

I agree my ds had unbearable itching between his fingers.
Good news is, the medication kills them instantly.

AnarchyAunt Fri 17-Oct-08 09:52:14

I had no visible burrows, despite having the worst reaction my doctor had ever seen! Scratching can disturb the burrows and make them hard to see.

Itching between fingers is a classic sign, but my hands were about the only bit of me unaffected!

solidgoldskullonastick Fri 17-Oct-08 09:55:26

Other things to eliminate first: have you changed your washing powder lately? Bought new cheap bedding? Been walking somewhere rural?

ladytophamhatt Fri 17-Oct-08 12:21:43

Deffo no itching between fingers, we have got quiet a ropey duvet cover on atm though.
It is new but one I bought on holiday because I gforgot to take one.

maybe its that...wouldk it causes random tiny spots thoygh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now