Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mum has 16cm lump near ovaries - is there any way this is not cancer??

(18 Posts)
Pillow Thu 16-Oct-08 22:29:14

Please reassure me. Mum was taken into hospital with severe abdominal pains last weekend. Has now had tests. Is having op next weekend to remove lump. But my parents won't talk to me about what it might be, and I'm scared.

Pillow Thu 16-Oct-08 22:41:19

Does no-one have any relevant experience? I am googling this and particularly concerned that it sounds like ovarian cancer.

bandgeek Thu 16-Oct-08 22:42:09

I don't know, but I didn't want to leave your thread unanswered so bumping it for you x

policywonk Thu 16-Oct-08 22:42:59

Gosh I'm sorry Pillow - don't have any relevant experience but can understand why you're concerned.

Why won't your parents discuss it with you?

mabanana Thu 16-Oct-08 22:44:22

I had two huge ovarian cysts removed years ago - both the size of large oranges, and both totally benign and have caused me no problems since. I also had severe pain - very severe pain. Obviously I have no idea what your mum has, but big lumps and pain don't have to mean cancer. I hope things are OK for your mum.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 16-Oct-08 22:44:28

could be a cyst. my sm had a huge one and it was completely benign

Flightattendant2 Thu 16-Oct-08 22:47:03

Oh darling.

It is very likely to be a cyst. There's an outside chance that they might find something within it that means she'll warrant some more treatment but people often do have very large cysts which are totally harm;ess in the longer term.

Hugs to you, you must be very anxious xx

Ewe Thu 16-Oct-08 22:47:19

I had a 9cm cyst, caused me discomfort but not severe pain.

Cysts are fairly common, is it possible your Mum was ignoring niggly pains until it became unbearable, I imagine they just keep growing (disclaimer: this is not based on any kind of medical fact).

Hope everything is ok.

Ewe Thu 16-Oct-08 22:49:38

How old is your Mum?

MummyTheQueenOfDarkness Thu 16-Oct-08 23:11:58

maybe it is a fibroid.

TheCrackFox Fri 17-Oct-08 00:23:50

My friend had a 12cm cyst removed.

blueskyandsunshine Fri 17-Oct-08 00:28:57

Hello, I had a very large hormonal cyst which was completely benign. Big lump does not necessarily = cancer. Hope your Mum and Dad have good news and can reassure you.

blinks Fri 17-Oct-08 00:43:46

more likely a cyst- i think ovarian cancer spreads more like a web and less like a lump- that's why it's so hard to treat...

samja Fri 17-Oct-08 20:31:53

My mum had an ovarian cyst the size of a melon removed and it was fine. No cancer but could have been dangerous had it not been removed. We were all v worried until the results came back. I really hope your mum is okay.

monkeymonkeymonkey Fri 17-Oct-08 20:34:20

I think that lumps that get that big are usually not cancer, but cysts.
Hope that your mum is OK.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 17-Oct-08 20:37:40

My mum had a massive cyst on her ovary removed a couple of years back. She could feel it from the surface shock but had delayed going and getting it checked out because she had just finished treatment for breast cancer. OMG I can't tell you how angry I was about it. Didn't say anything to her though. Didn't have to. Her partner was eloquent enough for both of us. Anyway, she had her ovaries removed and is fine smile

Cadbury Fri 17-Oct-08 20:40:21

Oh Pillow, how worrying!
I had a 10cm dermoid cyst removed from my ovaries 6 years ago. I have heard of them being much larger too. I hope and pray that it is something like a cyst and not what you dread. Keep strong. xxxx

SubRosa Sat 18-Oct-08 15:00:57

Same here, had a 8cm dermoid cyst (with a solid benign tumour in the middle)removed. Pillow, how's your mum feeling in the meantime? I hope she (and you) are as ok as it's possible to be in this situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now