Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Way, way, way TMI at what point when taking anti-biotics do you stop/seek medical advice?

(6 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 16-Oct-08 20:39:32

I was on A-B's last week for a chest infection, I finished on Monday

On Tuesday I was put on different A-Bs

The instructions/warnings suggest "If I develop severe or prolonged diarrhoea during or after taking consult your doctor immediately"

So what is severe or prolonged diarrhoea?

Is it having my tea (eaten at 5pm) currently residing undigested down the loo?

Or am I panicking?

Ewe Thu 16-Oct-08 20:46:27

Severe I would say if you can't be more than 2mins from a toilet and everything you eat comes straight out. Prolonged I would consider more than 24 hours.

Did you eat something that could have caused it?

KatyMac Thu 16-Oct-08 20:48:34

No - it's been building up all week tbh - I kinda ignore it as I have IBS. I spent about 40 mins on the loo

Ewe Thu 16-Oct-08 20:54:57

I would call NHS Direct if I were you, they put me through to a GP to speak to last time I called about something which was great and sorted out my problem.

They'll probably do the same for you. Hope you're ok, get yourself some acidophillus (sp!) too.

Jacksmama Thu 16-Oct-08 20:55:41

What they're worried about with taking antiobiotics for a couple of weeks is that the antibiotics might kill off your normal (protective) intestinal flora, and allow opportunistic bacteria to cause a bowel infection. Clostridium difficile is the most common pathogen that can do this. Here are a couple of links with good explanations of cause, symptoms, etc.
www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch127/ch127a.html
www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotic-associated-diarrh ea/DS00454
They give pretty good explanations of what to look for in terms of severity and duration of symptoms. I hope that helps!

KatyMac Thu 16-Oct-08 21:06:06

Thanks both of you

I guess I will monitor it & speak to my GP in the am if I'm not better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now