Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Probiotics and antibiotics

(4 Posts)
ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Thu 16-Oct-08 13:01:53

DS2 (7) has been in hospital for IV antibiotics to get rid of a nasty bout of cellulitis in his cheek. He's now home on 2 sorts of strong oral ABS.

I know that probiotics are recommended but I have a few questions:
1) Is that whilst taking the ABs or after?
2) How do you get them into a 7yo who's fed up with medicine
3) What sort
4) What exactly are the benefits

TIA

misi Thu 16-Oct-08 20:35:37

you can get chewable ones or ones as a powder that you can add into yoghurts, (my favourite...) ice cream or as my sister does for her eldest, into a cream cake!!
some say that you should take them after finishing the AB's others say during. if the course was for 5 or 7 days I might be tempted to say take when finished but any longer than this I would say take them half way between doses. the amount of AB's had so far, I would start getting them inside him as soon as.

this is a new one on me but looks OK www.auravita.com/products/aura/cedh10028.asp

this is the one I usually reccommend and the bacteria count is high www.solgar.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=E10

the benefits are that friendly bugs are the first line of defence of the immune system in many cases as a majority of infections arrive via the intestines into the body research suggests. also without friendly bugs, food will not be digested properly and so can ferment and cause bloating. bugs also out compete nassty bugs for food normally so killing off friendlies often allows things like the yeasts (candida) and other fungi (which are not killed off by AB's) to grow in the gut. research shows that kids given AB's in the first year of life are 4 times more likely to develop asthma later in life but that research was not carried on to older children taking AB's. long term use of AB's can be the cause or catalyst for many gut disorders like leaky gut syndrome etc.

hope that is of help!!

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Thu 16-Oct-08 21:00:33

Thanks

He'll have been taking them for 10 days by the time the course finishes on Sunday. He generally has the constitution of an ox so I don't normally worry but he's been taking 2 lots at once at what I think is a high dose.

pandoora Thu 16-Oct-08 22:45:11

Ok listen, probiotics should be taken with AB's. A fantastic brand is by BIOCARE. The product is called Strawberry Acidophilus Plus Powder for children and what you would do is sprinkle some on their cereal or drink. Basically, probiotics contains friendly bacteria in the gut which AB's destroy. Hence why adults or kids get diarrhea and nausea as a side effect from taking AB's.
Don't bother with the Yakults etc, they are not very effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now