Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysteroscopy: what to expect

(7 Posts)
mammya Sat 05-Mar-05 21:52:38

Has anyone undergone a hysteroscopy? I'm booked for one in a couple of weeks time and would like to know a bit more about it.

The leaflet I've been sent says I should have someone to accompany me home, that I should take some painkillers beforehand (apparently no anesthetics at all for the intervention) and that "some women may experience some period-like pain after the procedure". If my period pains are anything to go by, it could range from very mild cramps to rolling-on-floor, curled-into-a-ball pain. So it doesn't tell me much really!

Thanks in advance for any information.

HappyMumof2 Sat 05-Mar-05 21:55:29

Message withdrawn

mammya Sat 05-Mar-05 22:01:55

Thanks HMo2, what's a laparoscopy then? Is that where they "shave" off bits of your cervix?
As far as I can tell there will be no anesthetics, local or general, which is why I am a bit worried about the whole thing...

Portree Sun 06-Mar-05 01:19:27

I had one to remove some uterine polyps and had general anaesthetic. I would be surprised if you were not going to be given some kind of anaesthetic/sedation as I imagine it would be quite painful otherwise. Usually the reason you are told that someone should accompany you home is because you have had an anaesthetic and may be woozy/unable to drive etc.

I had very mild cramps after mine for a couple of days and some light bleeding. Nothing horrendous though.

bathmummy Sun 06-Mar-05 01:34:51

My sister had one recently and had no problems. She had the next day off as felt a bit sorry for herself and curled up with a hot water bottle, paracetemol and donughts, was fine the following day. Donughts are very important apparently in helping with recovery so get some in, try not to worry and hope that you it goes smoothly.
She said it was mildly uncomfortable at times and occasionally mildly painful during the quick procedure, was ok immediately afterwards but obv. didn’t drive home. She took painkillers before going to bed and then felt a little worse the next day, fine the following. She is a big wimp though - she is first to admit to low pain threshhold so you should be fine. HTH

HappyMumof2 Sun 06-Mar-05 16:05:07

Message withdrawn

mammya Sun 06-Mar-05 21:50:37

Thanks all for the info. Will try not to worry!
On closer examination, leaflet says that "local anesthetic is sometimes applied, though rarely".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now