Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just had gum graft

(9 Posts)
likessleep Tue 14-Oct-08 22:04:19

I posted up a while ago asking if anyone had had a gum graft, as I was considering getting one done, as my gumline was really receeding (at risk of losing a tooth!).
Anyhow, some people asked me to let them know how it goes (or how it has gone now!).
I had the gum graft 2 weeks ago and it has gone really well. It was very uncomfortable having the actual operation and quite scary seeing the scissors and scalpels going into my mouth. shock
And I had quite a scary moment when I couldn't remove the piece of gauze which I had been asked to remove 24 hours later and it just bled and bled and bled (am sure it looked worse than it did, as the blood was mixed with saliva, but still nothing like the taste of blood - yuk!).
But I went to have the stitches removed today and the dentist is himself very surprised at how well it has gone/how quickly it has healed.
He took tissue from the roof of my mouth (which was actually more painful than the grafted part). He then sewed it onto the gum below my two front teeth.
I had to use painkillers for a few days and wear a plastic 'stent' to protect the wound in the roof of my mouth.
But I feel so much better now and it looks brilliant (the dentist said "textbook"). It has slightly covered the part where the gum has receeded (I was told it wouldn't do this, but would 'halt' the further erosion of the vulnerable tissue left). But the gumline looks much healthier and more 'robust' now.
Long rant over, but I am so chuffed it has taken and all of the pain/blood/sloppy food was worth it!
Anyone considering it, go for it! I won't lie and say it was easy, and I did lose the 'dip' in my chin for a few days, but so chuffed now.

Candlewax Tue 14-Oct-08 22:07:32

I have receeding gums (apparently from cleaning too wellhmm and would like the operation done too. Do you mind if I ask you how much is was please?

likessleep Tue 14-Oct-08 22:16:55

I paid £560 which included everything, i.e. follow up appointments.

likessleep Tue 14-Oct-08 22:22:16

Just to say that it doesn't actually reverse receeding gums. Apparently there are two 'layers' of gum - the hard layer (which is why we can eat things like french stick ok) and a much more vulnerable layer underneath this.
Mine was so receeded (is that a word?), I only had the vulnerable tissue left. This meant it was only a matter of time before the tooth root would be exposed.
So basically, he has taken the 'hard' layer of tissue from the roof of my mouth and attached it to gum. This should make it more resistant to any more receeding / retain the status quo and encourage growth of more 'hard' tissue here.
It has covered up a bit of what was receeding, but I was told not to expect this, think of this more as a 'bonus'.
The aim was to stop it receeding any further.
Hope this helps - good luck with whatever you decide.

Candlewax Tue 14-Oct-08 23:40:03

Thank you likessleep. I am glad it has been successful for you.smile

wigparty Wed 15-Oct-08 09:47:01

Hi Likesleep,
I was interested to hear how it went for you. I'm so pleased to hear it went so well! The blood and pain sounds a bit scary but worth it in the end.

I'm (hopefully) nearing the end of gum treatment with my dentist so will ask him about this procedure when all the treatment is over.

Big grins all round grin

likessleep Wed 15-Oct-08 13:04:52

Wigparty - big gummy grins, tee hee! grin
What gum treatment have you had?

wigparty Wed 15-Oct-08 13:49:08

Have had a terrible time with gum disease after being an enthusiastic but very ineffective brusher for many years! Added to that, receding gums have plagued our family too.

The pockets around my gums were huge so have been having intensive hygenist appointments and antibiotics injected into the gum pockets (ouch!) for the last couple of months.

Now I've been taught how to brush properly, my new dentist is really pleased with the improvement so hopefully I'll still have all my own teeth in 10 years...I may well be bankrupt in the process though!

Trouble is the gum has receded quite a lot, especially on the top, so if I can have some sort of graft when my gums have passed the final exam, that would make such a difference to me. I won't ask my dentist yet as I don't want him to think I'm jumping the gun!

Well done you, I'm so pleased it went so well for you smile

likessleep Wed 15-Oct-08 14:49:30

Antibiotics injected into gum sound painful! Eek.
I really think receding gums are hereditary - my mum and my gran both have receding gum and particularly under the lower front teeth, which is exactly where mine is the worst.
Only other thing I will add is that the graft is about an inch long, so covers 1 - 2 teeth, not the whole gum line.
My gums are fairly badly receding all around, but were particularly bad in one spot.
I hope your new found gum health continues!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now