Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please can someone reassure me that hair usually falls out a few months AFTER an illness and that this will only be temporary.

(3 Posts)
fakeblonde Mon 13-Oct-08 17:50:49

Ok i had an episode of thyrotoxicosis a few months ago (over active thyroid )
Recently my hair has become thin and is falling out-i have long hair down to my waist and its my prode and joy.
When i brush it its coming out half a dozen strands of 3 foot pieces-i`m so upset i cant think straight.
I cry most of the day at the moment and i dread brushing my hair.
Please can someone reassure me - nobody can tell yet although GP said it was thin on top.
I`ve had my thyroid bloods done again today-i think they will be fine because i had really bad symptoms before whereas i just have a few palpatations now.
What i really want to know is is this just a delayed reaction to my illness a few months back-someone told me your hair stops growing when your ill.which i was with my thyroid,and its only a few months later that it will shed-or something like that.
I really just want someone to tell me its going to stop, but noone can do that i know.
Its got me that i cant eat sleep or think straight now.
Sorry to go on.x

Beauregard Mon 13-Oct-08 22:46:56

Sorry to read this.I know how worrying it is ,my mom is going through hair loss too due to Lichen Planus.
Hope someone else can advise you .
xx

fakeblonde Tue 14-Oct-08 18:14:46

Thanks Pelvic.
Hugs to your mum.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now