Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

should I be worried about my tooth extraction?

(10 Posts)
Katherine Fri 04-Mar-05 17:44:09

Hi
On Monday I had a boken tooth removed. It broke ages ago and my new dentist advised me to have it removed as otherwise it might lead to an abscess at some point in the future.

So out it came. Procedure was not too bad though felt quite violent as he had to grab the broken bits. Later that day it started to hurt a bit as he said it might. Not surprising.

That was Monday but its still very uncomfortable now and I'm feeling very low. Its sensitive to the cold so not great at the mo and it really hurts if I bend over or move around. I've also got a horrible taste in my mouth all the time putting me off eating - bit like when you havbe an ulcer.

Could it be infected? Should I be worried? Or is this just what its like when you get older. Haven't had an extraction since I was a kid and I don't remember it feeling like this but then it was a long time ago. Otherwise I feel fine - just fed up.

Can't afford to go back to dentist. Should I speak to the Dr? Not sure it merits an out of hours call but how long should it hurt?

Thanks
Katherine

pipsy1 Fri 04-Mar-05 17:45:46

I would have thought if you have a nasty taste in your mouth then it could be infected. And wouldn't expect it to still be hurting now except for maybe minor ache

LIZS Fri 04-Mar-05 18:03:55

Did he give you any instructions as to how to keep it clean - perhaps gargling with warm salty water or a particular mouthwash (think dh was given one after wisdom teeth extraction but can't remember the brand). I'd expect the cold sensitivity if the extraction was deep but the pain to have calmed a bit by now. Nurofen might help with inflammation or pain until you can speak to the dentist by phone at least. Could you visit a pharmacist to see what else they might recommmend in the meantime ?

jangly Fri 04-Mar-05 18:05:00

Sounds like there could be a bit still in there. Go back as its hurting. You can't be charged again - its part of the same job that you've already paid for. (Unless you have to have antibiotics, of course)

Davros Fri 04-Mar-05 22:09:18

Shouldn't hurt or taste funny. I had two out last week and, apart from the injections and wrenching, no problems like you describe. Go back, he prob won't charge you to finish the job. In the meantime salt water and neurofen.

Katherine Sat 05-Mar-05 13:59:27

thanks. Started with salt water mouthwashes last night and was amazed at the difference. Instant relief. Feels mcuh better this mornin though still sore so will continue with the washes through the weekend and see how it is on Monday. Cheers - sore cheeks rather than embarrassed ones

lilsmum Sat 05-Mar-05 22:14:36

i have had this with 2 teeth i had out, sounds like an infection (think they call it a dry socket??!!) you will need it "packing" they put a piece of gauge (sp?) with something on that tastes like clove oil (yuck!!!) and will give you antibiotics, i know how painful it is, its awful and my dentist said that dry socket is more painful than a abcess!! take ibuprofen and paracetamol

xxx

Katherine Tue 08-Mar-05 09:29:45

Thanks lilsmum. Made me cringe poor you. Not sure if thats what I've got but its definitly getting better. Still painful but tons better than it was. So I'm going to continue with the salt-mouth wash and hopefully it will eventually heal properly. I don't like taking antibiotics so would rather beat it "naturally" if I can. Can't recommend a salt-mouthwash enough though. So soothing and obviously heals too.

lilsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 18:39:18

katherine, just remembered also that my dentist told me to buy some cordosol (sp?) mouthwash xx

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 08-Mar-05 18:52:38

hi katherine, went to the dentist this morning had a root canal (ouch). Anyway my lovely dentist said that from tomorrow I should gargle with salt water 3 times a day for 5 days. It helps the healing process. She also gave me some antibiotics for if the pain gets too much (which can happen if food gets into the space. hth [wry grin emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now