Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long after stopping The Pill might you ovulate?

(8 Posts)
olivo Sun 12-Oct-08 14:25:07

if you stop taking the Pill, do you ovulate within a few days or is the 'withdrawal bleed' considered the period and then ovulation would happen approx 14 days after? sorry for my ignorance, never really thought about it before and can;'t seem to find info on it.

fairylights Sun 12-Oct-08 14:27:58

ooh how odd, i was just about to ask the same Q - looking forward to some replies! (sorry this isn't one..)

olivo Sun 12-Oct-08 14:32:32

ah, i got excited that someone knew the answer!

Horton Sun 12-Oct-08 15:40:58

I have heard that you would probably ovulate approx two weeks after stopping the pill.

fymandbean Sun 12-Oct-08 16:05:09

Do you remember how long your cycles were before the pill?

As a rule of thumb (but not exact) you ovulate 14 days before your next period is due. So if you have a 'perfect' 28 day cycle it will be on day 14 after stopping the pill. If it was shorter, it'll be sooner etc.

AMumInScotland Sun 12-Oct-08 17:12:17

I think you could ovulate very quickly - which is why you're not "safe" for 7 days if you miss one.

olivo Sun 12-Oct-08 18:20:40

Amuminscotland, that's what i was wondering. I've been on the pill for about 12 years, stopped only once and fell pg with dd in that six week or so, so i have no idea about the length of my cycles!I didn't know if yuo count the first pill free day as day 1 of a cycle, or the first day of a withdrawal bleed (which i sometimes don't get!)
i'm very confused!!

superstar91 Fri 07-Aug-15 01:32:36

Hi my cycles are 31 days long i came off on Monday and i had my withdrawal bleed yesterday i want to know when will i ovulate how long afteryour withdrawal bleed do you ovulate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now