Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What snacky foods are good for raising iron levels?

(11 Posts)
Pruners Sun 12-Oct-08 13:02:44

Message withdrawn

Boco Sun 12-Oct-08 13:04:55

Drinking orange juice at the same time as eating iron rich foods helps absorption, so have some oj with your nuts.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 12-Oct-08 13:05:41

Dried apricots are very good.

Brocolli, raw, dipped in humous.

I'd bet Bombay mix is ok (lentils, chickpeas).

SoMuchToBits Sun 12-Oct-08 13:15:32

Interestingly I really craved raw broccoli when I was pregnant, until I started taking iron tablets!

Blandmum Sun 12-Oct-08 13:16:33

apricots. also help things along of you are taking iron tablets and they bung you up

CaptainKarvol Sun 12-Oct-08 13:19:09

yep, dried apricots very good.

Nagapie Sun 12-Oct-08 13:21:01

Raisins?

Not really snacky but if you can stomach it, liver... soak it first in a bit of milk and take off the 'skin' and fry it..

Tiramissu Sun 12-Oct-08 13:52:27

As others have said, dried apricots is the best snack for iron. Other dried fruit too but apricot the best

Re pulses you can make a 'chickpeas snack' by coating some tinned chickpeas in a little olive oil and lots spices and then bake until crispy.

Oh and dark chocolate (over 75% cocoa) provides iron!!!! Any excuse wink

itgetseasier Sun 12-Oct-08 14:17:20

Nettle tea! If you can stomach it - full of iron.

Tiramissu Sun 12-Oct-08 14:26:47

What is nettle tea? and where do you get it?

itgetseasier Sun 12-Oct-08 14:49:53

Its tea made from nettles!smile I have it teabag form and bought it on line (google it) or from a healthfood shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now