Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP needed ASAP, DH is in so much pain his crying!

(24 Posts)
lisad123 Sun 12-Oct-08 09:48:49

DH has an abcess under a filing, discovered on thursday. HIs on AB and also codine, parcetol and nerufen, but nothings touching it. He has an appointment tomorrow evening. But his hasnt slept in 3 nights, and is bearly eating. please help to GP wont come out and see him and just tell's him to wait till tomorrow. We have tried hotwater bottle, clove, cold water, salt water.
Would we get any treatment if we went off to hospital? he just wants the pain to stop. Im shattered and dont know what to do!

SquiffyHock Sun 12-Oct-08 09:50:54

Hospital might be able to give him prescription painkillers - do you have an out of hours service at the hospital?

littlelapin Sun 12-Oct-08 09:52:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

escape Sun 12-Oct-08 09:52:41

go to A & E
A man in pain - they are bound to help - its an emergency if not an accident

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 12-Oct-08 09:53:55

Could you try to find if there's an emergency dentist - I've had to do this, and saw one on a Sunday morning, I think it was, to drill out the filling and start draining the abscess.

lisad123 Sun 12-Oct-08 09:55:55

yes called the out of hours GP, now waiting for denist to call. Its terrible if he was an animal no way would he be left in this amount of pain!

tribpot Sun 12-Oct-08 09:56:42

Phone NHS Direct and find out where your nearest Walk In Centre is (or look here under Emergency).

He may be able to combine the over-the-counter medications more effectively but only do this if advised by a professional.

The GP doesn't seem to have been very helpful - he didn't advise attendance at the Out of Hours centre? You're not meant to just suffer terrible pain because it's the weekend!

MrsMatryoshka Sun 12-Oct-08 09:59:32

I had this and went to A&E ,they gave me kapake the only word I can think of to describe the relief after I took one was blissful.

lisad123 Sun 12-Oct-08 10:02:11

how long did you have to wait in A&E for?? I have the kids and he is rolling aorund the bed in pain, just dont know if he could sit waitng iyswim

MrsMatryoshka Sun 12-Oct-08 10:03:54

It was only an hour ,but I think it depends on what time you go . Sunday morning should be quiet hopefully.

Flightofthenortybats Sun 12-Oct-08 10:05:33

They'll prob see him straight away at the emergency dentist service if he is in that much pain tbh.

We have a weekend service here, you have to ring, it's called dentaline - they give you an appointment and you go to the hospital and get seen.

Soudns like the abscess needs draining.

Notyummy Sun 12-Oct-08 10:07:26

Phone NHS Direct and explain you need to see an out of hours doctor and want an appt at the emergency clinic at the hospital. A nurse will phone you back very quickly and arrange it. I have had to do this 4 times within the last year unfortunately, but have always got an appointment and never had to wait in the hospital any more than 20 minutes max.

sandcastles Sun 12-Oct-08 10:14:21

Unfortunately, Drs won't be able to do a whole lot, tbh. Unless he can get to see a dentist, it will be a matter of waiting until the ABs have kicked in.

Even if he does se a dentist, there is no guarentee that they will do anything until the infection has cleared.

Do not apply hot water compress or bottle again, as it can spread the infection.

Call your dental practice & see if there is a number on the answerphone for an emergency dentist, or go to A&E.

DraculaNeedsArteries Sun 12-Oct-08 10:43:42

DP had this last week.

He went to GP and got extra strength co-codamol and diclofenac for the pain. As LL said- gave him pain relief temparaily.

He then went to dentist and got ABs, whcih took swelling down and eased pain.

Try walkin for prescrption pain killers if nothing else. You could try and covince them to gve ABs too...after all that is what dentist will do and Walk-in centers have teh power to prescribe ABs...

lisad123 Sun 12-Oct-08 10:51:18

he has been on AB since friday morning, and we thought they would have eased the pain by now but nothing. Still waiting for DEnist to call but if they dont call soon, will be taking with to A&E for apin relief.

DraculaNeedsArteries Sun 12-Oct-08 10:55:16

Bummer.

ABs had pretty much kil;led teh pain for DP within 48hrs....I have a huge bag of unused strong painkillers cos he got about 2weeks worth and only took them for 2 days.

I would get him seen again in that case.

loopylou6 Sun 12-Oct-08 11:14:51

lisa, tell your dh he has my total sympathy, the pain from dental abcesses is unbelieveable, deffos ee the out of hour dentist or a&e, hope he gets relief soon

Flightofthenortybats Sun 12-Oct-08 11:18:48

Lisa, the AB's usually take about 48hrs or so they say, to kick in. The pain is from the abscess/swelling pressing on the nerve in the jaw which is why it hurts so much.

If they see him today they might be able to drain it and release some of the fluid and that should be instant relief - or they might take out the tooth but that would be up to them what they thought was best.

Or might want to change the AB to a different one but unlikely.

lisad123 Sun 12-Oct-08 13:12:33

hi

we went off to out of hours, he has had an injection to numb the pain, they have put something on the nerves to numb it and refilled it. He has rootcanal tomorrow, so his off to get some sleep, at long last, thanks girls

magicofchristmas Sun 12-Oct-08 13:21:45

Dont want to scare you, but, watch for any swelling around the face. I had this after an injection for an abcess and it was very frightening. Wont go into details tho. Good luck.

Flightofthenortybats Sun 12-Oct-08 15:22:35

Hi Lisa, well done - glad he was seen and is getting some peace smile

I would imagine they have put a topical steroid into the cavity, that's often what they do. I hope tomorrow it will all be sorted out.

kiltycoldbum Sun 12-Oct-08 15:30:08

no wanting to put the creepers up anyone but a friend of my parents at the beginning of the year had a tooth out, a short while later he began to feel poorly, his wife my mum etc where all joking about man flu however when it got to a point where the world was moving on him he went to the doctors and was rushed straight to hospital. The dentist had removed the tooth when there was an infection present underneath it and hadnt first prescribed AB's to clear it, as a result the infection spread to his brain. He currently has no skull on the front of his head covering his brain as they had to remove it to allow the swelling room, he was in an induced coma for an extremely long time, it is basically like he has had a massive stroke (he hasnt its just what he is like) and they dont know if he will ever recover. Terrifying but true sad

Elibean Sun 12-Oct-08 22:22:15

How is he, Lisa? dh was in similar state after some root canal treatment a while ago - he needed very strong painkillers until the infection was under control, and the pain around the nerve had settled down. It can take a while for that to happen, apparently.

lisad123 Sun 12-Oct-08 22:39:11

he slept for 5 hours this afternoon, got up to see the girls to bed and is now back up there. Painfree but a little swollen around his mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now