Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

First period after childbirth

(4 Posts)
Biggogglyeyes Fri 10-Oct-08 19:28:22

My DD2 is 19 days old.

i had a tummy ache last night as it felt like it was a period due BUT im unsure if i had mine or am i waiting for it to come?? as ive had blood from the after birth as was blood for 2 days and then it went pink water and now its brown water (on my maternity towels)....was this my period?? (im expressing). As when i had my first child by emergency section and my first period arrived when dd was 8 weeks old.

thanks

Witchka Fri 10-Oct-08 19:44:27

I didn't get mine for 8 months but I was bf quite a lot. I did have lots of odd bits of bleeding after the birth that lasted for weeks, on and off. That's just my experience though.

GreenMonkies Fri 10-Oct-08 19:51:18

Your DD is 19 days old? I'd think it is still lochia. It normally lasts for 3-6 weeks.

If you are lactating (either bf or expressing) it is unlikely to be your first period yet. Are you expressing through the night too? As long as you are pumping (or feeding) every 3-4 hours (day and night) it should keep your period away.

TMI alert, if it stays brown and smells funny/bad go see your GP as you may have an infection.

Biggogglyeyes Fri 10-Oct-08 21:09:14

righto...ill keep an eye on the brown colour.

many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now