Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else with rosacea?

(47 Posts)
HairyToedHobbit Fri 10-Oct-08 14:17:49

I was prescribed Metronidazole Gel yesterday. I actually went to see my GP about the ADs I've just gone back on so was quite surprised when he asked whether I usually had the rash across my face. I have a few spots which I find embarrassing as a 40-something, but didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as I sometimes get. GP guessed (correctly) that this could be adding to my anxiety levels, part of the reason I'm back on ADs. I am very impressed with GP as it was the first time I'd seen him since moving to the area. I think I've had the flare-ups on my face for a number of years but assumed it was just the hormonal acne I've had on and off since my teens. Not sure when the redness started.

GP told me the main triggers were sunlight, alcohol and spicy food. The first two aren't really a problem to avoid but I love spicy food! Also have looked this up on NHS Direct and caffeine is another possible trigger and I drink far too much coffee.

So what I'm wondering is, is it better to cut out all of these possible triggers or is it possible to find out which are the ones to blame for me?

emma1977 Fri 10-Oct-08 14:37:44

Mine started when I was 28, I'm now 30. My job is very 'social' and it was really getting me down that total strangers thought it OK to point out how awful my skin looked! It also went beserk during pregnancy and BFing. On all of the photos of me and my ds I look like a clown.

There is often no sepecific trigger. Sunlight makes mine a bit worse and alcohol makes me really flush. Thankfully I can still have my curries.

Mine got a lot better with zineryt.

mankyscotslass Fri 10-Oct-08 14:48:33

Me! Mine improved with pregnancy, but I am having flares now I am excercising again. I found the Metro Cream better than the gel for applying under makeup.
Sunlight, excercise, alchohol, caffeine, certain foods make me flush.
I was 33 when diagnosed!

worrybum Fri 10-Oct-08 16:42:00

I'm nearly 31 and have had it for almost 3 years now. It's quite strange because it only affects the right hand side of my face but covers a large area. Have tried metronidazole gel and also was taking tetracyline ABs since the beginning of this year but have recently stopped because they made no difference whatsoever to the flare ups and things are not any worse since I have stopped taking them. Obviously I was taking long term ABs unecessarily. I have not noticed any food/drink /environmental triggers but have recently observed that the symptoms are much worse when I am ovulating.

It really gets me down sometimes. When I have really bad flare ups the whole side of my face is just bright red and lumpy and covered with the white pustules and quite often bleeds. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house. I've even had my hair cut so that my parting has been changed in order that I can style my hair to cover that side of my face!!!!!

See if what the doctor precribes you does any good and if not you could ask for a dermatology opinion. That's what I'm thinking of doing. I find that mineral makeup helps to mask it when it is not really bad.

mankyscotslass Fri 10-Oct-08 17:06:29

I agree about the mineral makeup worrybum, it's all I use now.

mummydoc Fri 10-Oct-08 17:12:07

mine is triggered by stress and nothing else and metronidazole gel worked a treat.

KathG Fri 10-Oct-08 17:12:39

mine seems to have improved a lot since I have been given omzeprol (sp?) for ulcer symptoms??

NotBigNotClever Fri 10-Oct-08 17:21:59

I have been using the metronidazole gel with reasonable results for a number of years after finally being diagnosed in my late 30s. Stress is a big trigger for me and also alcohol and spicy food. I get a bigger reaction with certain types of alcohol. Also extreme exercise. Now do gentler exercise and am fine. I have had the broken capillaries cauterised regularly for about 13 years and this has reduced the red nose effect, which really gets me down when it's bad.

majeika Fri 10-Oct-08 17:28:53

Oh I have been meaning to start a thread about this all week.

I went to see the Derm a few weeks ago and we talked about what sort of contraception I use (condoms) and she said that there was a 20% chance of getting PG on these! shock

she then went and prescribed something for me which I was regularly taking. When I asked for a repeat prescription at the drs I was taken to one side and told that I must not get pregnant as these pills can cause devastating disabilities in babies!! (cannot remember the name of it!!)

I am now on nothing and gutted about the whole thing. I work in school and feel soooo self conscious about my skin. Dont want to DH to see me without makeup either.

What sort of mineral makeup do you wear and why is this better do you think?

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Fri 10-Oct-08 17:29:29

I have it mildly (not so badly that I've ever seen the doctor about it). Definitely agree with the mineral makeup recommendation. I find chocolate, coffee and alcohol affect me badly. Sunlight a bit.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Fri 10-Oct-08 17:31:27

I use the Lily Lolo stuff - mineral makeup doesn't clog pores, or irritate my skin, and it contains zinc, which can be healing. Also has a slight spf effect, which is good if you suffer from sunlight sensitivity.

emma1977 Fri 10-Oct-08 18:18:47

Majeika, was it Roaccutane that you were prescribed? Evil stuff but it does really work.

Can someone tell me more about mineral make up please. I'm naturally very fair-skinned and find that most regular brands aren't pale enough for me. I'm not a very girly girl, so a bit behind on these kind of things.

worrybum Fri 10-Oct-08 18:33:53

I use the fresh minerals range and it is brilliant stuff!
Here www.fresh-minerals.co.uk/

It is very inexpensive over there and I can honestly say it is the best foundation i've ever worn. The coverage is great but it doesn't look like you put your makeup on with a trowel IYKWIM.

Problem is I bought it when I was in America earlier in the year and am now wondering where I can get hold of it in the UK. Am frantically googling because I am running low and don't want to be left without over Christmas so will get back to you.

majeika Fri 10-Oct-08 19:12:34

I was on Roaccutane for acne when I was 21 and it was great!

No - this was something different and the results of pregnancy could have been a baby with thalidomide (the word I couldnt remember) so I am very angry at the dermatologist tbh.

I will look into mineral makeup I think.

People with beautiful skin make me so envy as they usually take it for granted. There is no way i would ever leave the house without makeup on.

worrybum Fri 10-Oct-08 19:23:12

I know what you mean Majeika about people with perfect skin. Esp when they get the one zit and moan about it to you as if they were growing an extra head!

HairyToedHobbit Fri 10-Oct-08 19:30:57

Ooh really surprised that there are so many replies! Good to know that the met. gel has worked for some of you.

worrybum: interesting about ovulation. My GP said that the menopause will probably clear it up completely. I was on Dianette for a while years ago and that cleared up my skin very well but I wasn't allowed to stay on it long term.

Thanks for the links re: mineral makeup too worrybum & Jackie. I could really do with getting some new stuff so this seems a good excuse to treat myself smile.

worrybum Fri 10-Oct-08 19:42:56

HTH - I often wonder whether the pill would help but have not taken it since I was 21. I am also a recurrent miscarrier and have polycystic ovaries so that would kind of defeat the object of trying to get and stay pregnant! If it's not one thing it's another eh?

Anyway, I forgot to mention that this is a really good product too, again i purchased it an America but you can orer it online from some uk retailers
www.dermstore.com/product_Booster+Blue+Rosacea+Treatment_3325.htm

majeika Fri 10-Oct-08 22:04:16

I have pcos too but beem told its not connected............

worrybum Fri 10-Oct-08 22:11:03

It does make me wonder. I know of quite a few women, on here actually that have PCOS and rosacea symptoms. Rosacea is a condition that is poorly understood and there are a lot of split opinions on the causes of it. I also understand that there is some medical research being carried out to try and identify whether there is a hormonal link (PCOS and hormonal imbalances are linked are they not?) so i would never rule it out..........

emma1977 Sat 11-Oct-08 11:46:32

I swear that my rosacea is hormonally-linked. Flawless skin until 28, rarely needed to wear make-up. Came off hormonal contraception as TTC- skin went nuts within 2 months. When pregnant and breastfeeding it was appalling. Within a month of stopping breastfeeding, it is almost normal again. Throughout the whole time I have been using the same treatment, so it is defo not that. I also restarted hormonal contraception at 6 weeks postnatally and that made no difference.

I find it particularly hard with my job, as I'm a GP (who also does a lot of dermatology work ironically). I have had one patient, a lady in her mid-30s with ONE BLOODY SPOT come and see me about it, take one look at me and say 'I was going to complain about my skin and ask for your advice, but seeing how bad yours is I don't think I'll bother as you obviously can't help'. It really upset me and I had a good cry in my room and a frantic reapplication of make-up before I saw my next patient.

Thanks for the advice on mineral make-up ladies- I think I know what I'll be asking for for my next bday pressie.

giddly Sat 11-Oct-08 11:54:32

How vile, Emma! Can't believe how rude some people are.
I've found Emu oil has worked very well on my mild rosacea (which got much worse in pregnancy). Research does suggest it has anti-imflamatory properties.

mumhadenough Sat 11-Oct-08 12:23:40

Hello fellow sufferers sad

Emma that is just disgraceful, I would never ever speak to a doctor like that no matter what the situation, it just lacks basic respect angry.

I am unfortunate enough to suffer with both sebhoerric dermatitis and rosacea on my face. I ended up going to see a dermatologist privately who suggested I used fucidin cream, daktarin cream and wash my face with Nizoral shampoo. I know the active ingredient in nizoral is Ketoconazole which is to work on the dermatitis but it definitely helped with the rosacea too, so I thought I would mention it to some of you to see if it helped.

I also switched over to mineral make up, initially bare escentuals, excellent but quite pricey. I have since started using the avon one, which is a much bigger tub, much less money and just as good as the big brand pricey ones. It really does help your skin and the coverage on it is fantastic.

My skin has actually broken out really badly again over the past few weeks, but I think I'm not drinking enough water. Going to up the water intake and use the creams again over the next week and if not improvement then it may be a course of ABs for me again sad

HairyToedHobbit Sat 11-Oct-08 15:49:19

Emma that is awful angry.

I have most of the symptoms of PCOS except I have very regular shorter cycles. Despite at least 10 years not using contraception I've only got pregnant 3 times though (one miscarriage and one ectopic). Dianette works against too much testosterone IIRC, isn't there a link with that and PCOS too?

unfitmother Sat 11-Oct-08 16:08:22

Mine's awful, people always used to comment on my red nose so I never leave the house without make up on.
I'll look into mineral make up, thanks.

worrybum Sat 11-Oct-08 17:54:56

HTH interesting what you say - I have regular cycles despite my PCOS. Irregular periods are only one symptom. After my third miscarriage I asked a gynae that I saw whether I could have PCOS because I have nearly all of the other symptoms and she dismissed it totally. It was only when I saw my current consultant after my 4th mc that it was diagnosed. I am absolutely convinced that there is a connection between this and my rosacea because of the flare ups around the time I ovulate and when I mentioned to my gp that I had stopped taking the ab's because of the little benefit they did me and because I had noticed this link and therefore believed the problem to be hormonal and not bacterial he was in agreement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now