Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you expect an x-ray?

(19 Posts)
OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 10:10:56

Plaster cast came off my foot today! Second metatarsal was fractured. Hurray! But I am a bit suprised that after a cursory glance the consultant told me all was well, got me a tubigrip bandage and sent me on my way. No x-ray, no instructions about what I can and can't do, no physio. I only know I can't run for 4 weeks and that I can drive after a few days because I asked him.

It still hurts a little and is stiff but I assume that's normal?

Am I being a bit precious. Just scared of hurting it again really.

I broke a metatarsal in my big toe and never even got a plaster, never mind any physio or a 2nd x-ray. I think they can tell from the first x-ray how clean the break is and if it will heal ok - therefore if they're confident then maybe no need for a 2nd x-ray. My big toe ached for months afterwards.

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 10:16:07

Aha! OK. Thanks stripey.

serenity Fri 10-Oct-08 10:23:46

DD fractured her leg eariler in the year, and wasn't XRayed after the cast came off either. With her, it actually took longer to get over the pain and stiffness after the cast was removed than she was in it. Hope your foot feels better soon though.

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 11:48:23

Thanks serenity.

I guess I just have to get on with it then.

ClaireDeLoon Fri 10-Oct-08 11:55:03

I have a broken foot too but am two weeks behind you, I was wondering if they would x-ray it again and how long it would take to get driving again. I miss being able to drive.

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 12:19:31

Well apparently almost straight away claire!. A friend of mine had the same injury (or similar) and was told not to drive for 4 weeks after the cast came off. I think what bothered me was the casual way it was all treated - have heard worrying things about this particular consultant - and don't feel that confident. But from the responses on here I think I may be being daft.

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 15:47:39

Ow ow ow! My ankle hurts. I think it's suffering from shock at having to do something.

OrmIrian Fri 10-Oct-08 19:36:26

Please can someone advise me! Should my foot be swelling up? It hurts and it's back to Cornish pasty shape.....

ClaireDeLoon Sat 11-Oct-08 09:44:22

Only just seen this - how is it today?

OrmIrian Sat 11-Oct-08 12:30:36

much less swollen thanks claire but still sore. I'm just taking it easy atm.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 11-Oct-08 12:35:01

No I wouldn't. X-rays come with their own (small) risks so should only be done when necessary.

A couple of years ago they couldn't work out whether ds1 had broken his ankle or not (he wouldn't hold it in the position it needed to be in to be x-rayed- even with 4 people holding him down) and the consultant's view was that it would probably get better with or without a cast so it was up to us whether or not he had one. (He didn't, because the consultant couldn't work out how they'd get it off him without a GA!)

The consultant made me realise we often heal better than we realise alone iyswim.

Just do as much as you feel comfortable doing, and stop and rest if it starts to hurt.

tracey1983 Mon 20-Oct-08 08:19:21

i too have just had a cast off after breaking the 2nd metatarsal, and fell the same as you - no x ray, no physio. and the pain was highly uncomfortable. but what has been worrying me, and the reason i found this board. is that my consultant said i would have an x ray the day my cast came off. of course he wasn't in that day and a different consultant saw me. i was in there for, literaly, 1 min. he looked at my notes give me the ticket for the plaster room and if i wasn't fine in 4 weeks to go back. after having the stiffness for a several days with no improvement, i phoned my own gp's physio and she sent me some exercises to loosen my ankle and weight bearing ones for the actual break.
I must admit i'm still not happy with the way things were dealt and have actually noticed a giant lump where the break was, so that's making me a bit worried so i have decided to go back to the hospital. as it has now been 3weeks since getting it off.

PortAndDemon Mon 20-Oct-08 08:44:18

I wouldn't have expected an X-ray, but I would have expected at least a quick chat about what to expect, what to watch out for and possibly for a physio session.

OrmIrian Mon 20-Oct-08 11:36:59

Thankyou.

I am still in pain and my foot is quite swollen but getting better I think. I had a word with the company nurse and she told me that a little is to be expected. So I will wait and see. Going back on 31st for check up. But what is hurting? Surely the bone is either broken or healed. It acn't be half-healed. And the I would have expected any damaged tendons etc to have healed when they were imobilised on the plaster. Ah well. Time will tell.

port - that is exactly it. I really felt that a little advice and guidance wouldn't have been too much to ask. So I knew there was nothing wrong when it swelled up like a balloon!

tracey - the lump sounds worrying. Hope it's OK.

wissyssis Mon 20-Oct-08 13:01:54

I broke my 5th metatarsel several years ago, I had the plaster off after 5 weeks and it took about 4 more weeks to feel OK to cycle to work again.
I didn't get given physio/advice or anything so just took it gently while my muscles remembered what they were meant to do!

Ironicly I'm now in a similar! position with a broken bone in my back, meant to be weaning myself off the back brace & painkillers but little actual practical advice or support!!!GP said gradually leave the brace off longer each week and I need physio but up to 9 weeks for appointment!

throckenholt Mon 20-Oct-08 13:08:10

we seem to have an odd view about physio in this country.

I damaged my ankle in Feb - went to the doctor when it didn't stop hurting a few weeks later - he pretty much said it would heal on it's own.

It did - sort of - but never really well - and a few weeks ago I hurt it again (just be walking across the room) - and after a few days I was still limping so shelled out to see a chiropractor privately - and he actually looked at it and felt it and worked out what was wrong - muscular mainly - did lots of manipulation and it really has helped - going back for more of the same tomorrow.

What I wonder is why didn't I get referred for physio all those months ago - and have I as a result done some permanent damage that could have been avoided.

So - if I were you - I would either be difficult and insist on some physio (maybe through gp ?) or go private and get some. But whichever - I would want someone to give it a good look over and work out why it is hurting now.

OrmIrian Mon 20-Oct-08 13:21:59

I have been thinking about it throckenholt. I've used a chiro any times before and found it really helpful. I took our some health insurance for just this sort of thing to help me with running injuries. But as I previously vocal suppporter of the NHS I am a bit disappointed TBH.

Sorry to hear about your back wissyssis sad. 5 weeks in plaster and 4 weeks before I start running again was what I was told, but only when I specifially asked. No info volunteered whatsoever,

throckenholt Mon 20-Oct-08 13:34:44

yes - I am a supporter of the NHS - have never gone private before. But physio does seem to be one thing you never get offered - which is very sad when it can make so much difference.

I guess as a whole the NHS is not very good a preventantive stuff - it is more reactive than proactive sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now